Rear bearing issue - best option?

cjj
cjj Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys (and/or girls!)

Heard a clicking noise on the bike earlier (sounded like a lazy dérailleur) - got back and found an excessive amount of play in the rear hub.

I assume (and except) this is an issue with the rear bearings. The hub is a Shimano 85 Parallax.

I'm more than confident with anything on a car, or normally a motorbike, but a bit of an amateur with cycles - I've not really done enough mileage before to need to look at the bearings.

Seems like for me to do the job myself, I'd need a Cone Wrench and a socket to remove the cassette (Shimano, also). By this point, it's a £20+ outlay on tools.

Is there an easier/better option? I'm not sure it's a job I'll ever need to do twice, so considering the price of wheels/hubs, is it better or easier to replace with new?

Additionally, I've tightened up the outer locknuts a little - this has reduced a lot of the 'play'... on a scale of 1 to 10, how much of an issue is it to commute a couple of miles max with the hub bearings potentially shot?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    With a bit of care, Shimano hubs will last for ever.
    Cone spanners are a few pounds and whatever wheels you have, you'll need a cassette tool and chain whip to change the cassette.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cjj
    cjj Posts: 3
    cooldad wrote:
    With a bit of care, Shimano hubs will last for ever.
    Cone spanners are a few pounds and whatever wheels you have, you'll need a cassette tool and chain whip to change the cassette.

Hi - thanks for the reply!

So, would you suggest an adjustment or replacement?

I know that is very much a bit like a 'Schrodinger' type situation, but if it turns out the cones .bearing races are shot I'm not sure where I can get replacements from?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They need greasing and adjusting normally.
    That's all.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools