Waterproof jacket for commuting?

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hello. Can any recommend a decent water proof jacket for commuting to work? I'm looking for something with lots of vents.

Comments

• macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Hi Mark,
    what is your budget and riding style? upright? racy? do you want looser or tight fighting? might factor into it?

have you tried anything so far?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Mark whatever you get and regardless of how breathable it is and how many vents it has I would suggest you only wear it when it's raining. Non-waterproof cycling clothing works much better than waterproof clothing in all conditions except rain.
    I've got one of these, couple of side vents and it was relatively cheap in a sale. It's alright for commuting.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Nevis-Wa ... tAodu0wAfA
  • Mark909
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    Hi Mark,
    what is your budget and riding style? upright? racy? do you want looser or tight fighting? might factor into it?

have you tried anything so far?

I'd pay up to 150 quid for a decent jacket. I think I'd rather have something looser fitting. I prefer the look of mountain biking jackets to be honest. It's for my daily commute so tight fitting and racy isn't particularly important thanks.
  • Mark909
    whoof wrote:
    Mark whatever you get and regardless of how breathable it is and how many vents it has I would suggest you only wear it when it's raining. Non-waterproof cycling clothing works much better than waterproof clothing in all conditions except rain.
    I've got one of these, couple of side vents and it was relatively cheap in a sale. It's alright for commuting.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Nevis-Wa ... tAodu0wAfA

Thanks for that. I think I want something with a hood that I can wear on and off the bike.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Well, £150 is way out of my budget but I do enjoy my Altura Night Vision Jacket (several options but mine was £40). it is big as I bought an XL and its baggy on me. great waterproof with long zipper vents under the arms.
    I'm sure I also saw an optional hood you can buy.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Is it a long commute and do you shower and change at work?

For what its worth I think waterproof jackets are a waste of time. A good windproof jacket is my weapon of choice.
    I've got three now, one being a mavic echappee that has really useful vents. Tight fitting mind.