Tri Spoke wheel questions

19761980dean
19761980dean Posts: 45
edited July 2014 in Workshop
I was rummaging at a car boot sale today and found this on a store where a bloke was selling things from a house clearance. It was only twenty quid so thought id gamble in-case its any good, if not i'm not-overly fussed, my questions are why is there a small hole drilled into it!? is this something someone's done for fun or is there a reason? also is it definitely a rear as I have read on Google these can sometimes be used front and rear? also can they be trued as when spun it has a wobble, could be because it needs a cassette?

like I say it was twenty quid so if its useless im not overly bothered. cheers Dean
20140720_200204_zpsrioijscx.jpg
20140720_200217_zpsoewjz4eu.jpg
20140720_202530_zpsfocqqx0x.jpg

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Yes that can be used as a rear but you'll need a screw-on freewheel. You would also need the rear axle, which is a simple swap. The hole I don't remember. I wonder if it was dented and the hole was used to pull the dent out.

Somewhere I have a bag of spares for one of these…
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Nice find!

If the wobble is in the rim, I guess your only option is a bench vice... Are you sure it's not loose bearings?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Me-109 if you find the bag of spares that would be great!
    is the wheel use-able then? be great if it was. take it I cant use it on the front as is? ill check the bearings if it isnt then LBS it is.

any ideas on sealing the hole?

thanks for the replies.
  • me-109
    All I've got is a front wheel axle with spacers and the ring to cover over the freewheel threads.
  • The hole may have been used to mount a magnet for a computer.
  • good thinking, never thought of that.

Me-109 I'll pm you re the bits
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The hole may have been used to mount a magnet for a computer.

Not quite sure how drilling a hole would facilitate that. Most usually glue or tape magnets to those kind of rims..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Water drainage feature?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hole for nail so it could be hung on Wall!?
  • me-109
    Me-109 I'll pm you re the bits
    PM replied. :wink:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Hole to fit the counter balance weight opposite the valve
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Sounds technical? Will it need one then?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Weigh a valve :roll:

then add a lump of chewing gum into the hole, that technical enough for you? :D

This is not serious advice and I refuse to be held responsible for any serious injury or death as a result of this advice or of a serious wheel wobble, but I do think juicy fruit flavour will be your best bet!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Sounds like about my limit!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    team47b wrote:
    Hole to fit the counter balance weight opposite the valve

Again, I can't see how drilling a hole would facilitate this, when there would be no access from the other side. As before, most would simply glue or tape a weight to the outside without butchering/devaluing the rim in the process.
  • Thought I'd have a mess about so I sanded it gently filled the holes with some carbon filler and resprayed and stuck on some Zipp decals! 20140726_104326_zpsrdku1ynx.jpg
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    I think you need a new football
  • I can balance that on my head for hrs!
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    I had a pair of these Trispoke wheels on a racing tandem. They are a plastic fairing on a fairly solid set of aluminium bars (as spokes). We had the fairing split on one of them and the other had one of the spokes break away from the rim.

I wouldn't use it for riding, but it will make a nice wall hanging.

There shouldn't be a hole in the plastic like that, and you can't true them
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • Think it's going to get hung up in my man cave!