Which Brakes?

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited July 2014 in MTB general
Planning on replacing the brakes on our two bikes. One has Juicy 5 (Hope 3 bolt rotors) and the other has Juicy 3 (both circa 2008).

Have had the Deore brakes at CRC suggested, as they are a good deal, but considering spending a little more so I don't feel like upgrading again in the not too distant future.

The bikes currently are only ridden on the road / tow paths, but will eventually be used for XC again.

I have considered the XTs £63.99 per end or the Elixir 9 carbon (2013) £74.99.

Benefits to sticking with Avid is that we have a bleed kit, and the Juicy 5s are mounted on matchmakers with SRAM X0 shifters. Is it possible to mount the XTs on a matchmaker type clamp with the 9 speed X-0 shifters?

I am guessing the XTs will be a big improvement over the Juicys? Are they similar to bleed as Avids? I had initially planned to splash out even more and go for some Hope Tech 3s, but watched their bleeding video and was put off with what appeared like a lot of faffing - plus they are about twice as much...

Any other brakesets I should be looking at?

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    XTs are superb, especially at the price you can get them now. I've been using mine for 2 years now and all I've had to do in terms of maintenance is change the rear pads. The power is incredible, slightly better than that of the Deores which I have on my HT, which are also very good

The XTs bleed ( along with any Shimano brake) is much simpler than any Avid bleed, and the Juicy/Elixir bleed is the same.

Definitely go with XTs.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    I always swore by Shimano brakes but my 2013 SLx are in constant need of bleeding. My Elixir 5's worked perfectly for 12 months. Probably try Hopes next time.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I have both XT and Deores. They are both superb brakes. I've had Juicy 3s and they were terrible as they always needed tweaking, I've also had Magura MT2s, which were great, until one leaked from the cylinder (currently being replaced by Magura) and spares for them are extortionate.

Shimano everyday of the week for me.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Has the shimano bleed procedure changed since about 2011? Back then, they were similar to Hope, where you open up the reservoir etc.

Will I need to buy a bleed kit for when I fit them? I am half expecting to have to adjust the hose length...
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    You can bleed them either with an open reservoir (the 'no cost' way) or with a Shimano bleed funnel at the lever end, then just some plastic tubing and container/bag at the calliper end.

You can quite easily shorten the hoses without having to bleed the brakes. That technique has worked for me in the past, even with Avid brakes.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Ordered two XT brakesets and two bleed kits - hopefully these can sit in the garage for a while.

Watched a YouTube video on cutting the hoses without bleeding, looked fairly straight forward.

Thanks for the help all :)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My XT's are better than the avid's they replaced.