Inflated tyres

nickyhoward55
nickyhoward55 Posts: 148
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

When storing your bike for periods of no use, do you leave the tyres inflated?

I've had 2 sets of Ultremo ZX's split along the side walls after minimal use and only being inflated to 100psi when in use. They dont pop, put a layer of material comes away toward the bead and i dont trust them, ive now switched to gatorskins as the roads are pretty crap round here anyway.

My bike is stored off the ground when not in use (and all winter - im a total fair weather rider!).

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Yes as IME tyres will lose some air over a period if left.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    If the bike is off the floor with no weight on the tyres there is no need to keep inflated, hang it up and leave it. If resting on the tyres there should be enough air in them to hold their shape. I have seen some develop cracks in areas where the tyre has creases where it rests on the floor from sitting deflated but only for very long periods of time.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I've had 2 sets of Ultremo ZX's split along the side walls after minimal use and only being inflated to 100psi when in use. They dont pop, put a layer of material comes away toward the bead and i dont trust them, ...
    ======================================
    That sounds more like a defect with the tires than due to being kept inflated.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ultremos used to do this years ago - they earnt a bit of a bad rep for it and there were a lot of returned tyres, however I thought that they had solved it.

I'm with Jay on this one.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • JayKosta wrote:
    I've had 2 sets of Ultremo ZX's split along the side walls after minimal use and only being inflated to 100psi when in use. They dont pop, put a layer of material comes away toward the bead and i dont trust them, ...
    ======================================
    That sounds more like a defect with the tires than due to being kept inflated.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

That's what i thought. I have always kept them inflated, even through the winter time when the garage gets very cold, i wondered if that was a cause. Lesson learnt, ill stick with conti's from now on.

Thanks for the replies.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Try some Pro Race 4s as well - very, very good tyre.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.