Halfords you could not make it up.

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your contract of sale is with the seller, but the warranty is from the manufacturer - read one next time you buy something.
    If something goes wrong you take it back to the seller, as they are the wholesalers agent, but the manufacturer will pay the cost of repair or replacement.
    Or do you think PC World accept responsibility for the potential failings of hundreds of factories worldwide?

But keep digging....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    Just to be petty and pedantic, my two strongest points, Halfords don't offer the warranty, the manufacturer does.
    Halfords do if they are the manufacturer (Carrera as in the opening post, Trax, Apollo, X-rated - not the others like Pendleton or Boardman).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    cooldad wrote:
    Your contract of sale is with the seller, but the warranty is from the manufacturer - read one next time you buy something.
    If something goes wrong you take it back to the seller, as they are the wholesalers agent, but the manufacturer will pay the cost of repair or replacement.

This is correct, and which is why warranties are sometimes not worth the paper they're written on, since its up to the manufacturer to uphold it. Not to be confused with your rights under the sale of goods act where you would also deal with the retailer but it has nothing to do with any warranty.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The Rookie wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Just to be petty and pedantic, my two strongest points, Halfords don't offer the warranty, the manufacturer does.
    Halfords do if they are the manufacturer (Carrera as in the opening post, Trax, Apollo, X-rated - not the others like Pendleton or Boardman).

But are they actually the manufacturer, or are they just selling someone else's bikes under their name? I doubt Halfords have set up bike manufacturing operations.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    Halfords are the 'manufacturer' in that they own the name and offer the warranty, like most things you buy, the name on it may have nothing to do with where it is made. Carrera's are all made by Merida who also make Pinnacles for Evans, most Speshialized, Voodoo's for Voodoo, Boardmans etc etc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    The Rookie wrote:
    Halfords are the 'manufacturer' in that they own the name and offer the warranty, like most things you buy, the name on it may have nothing to do with where it is made. Carrera's are all made by Merida who also make Pinnacles for Evans, most Speshialized, Voodoo's for Voodoo, Boardmans etc etc.

Probably, then.
  • cooldad
    Or is there a separate company that is owned by Halfords?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    Same as boots iirc
  • cooldad
    Halfords sell boots or Boots sell bikes?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul_mck
    I worked in halfords when I was a student and think Halfords were part of some group that also owned Boots and Focus I think.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    No they are no longer part of the Boots group. They floated onto the LSE back in 2004.
  • paul_mck
    Was a right while ago in fairness.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    So OP tried to buy shit bike, couldn't afford said shit bike, so decided to be a whiney little girl on the interwebz.

How is this Halfords fault?
  • foy
    foy Posts: 296
    edited July 2014
    lol if only you knew ste the real picture you would be astounded my dear friend.
  • Angus Young
    foy wrote:
    lol if only you knew ste the real picture you would astounded dear friend.

So, what is the 'real' picture?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'm sure you couldn't make it up. Or could you?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    foy wrote:
    lol if only you knew ste the real picture you would astounded dear friend.

So, what is the 'real' picture?

Give him time to think up a story.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    So has the original poster bought a bike from Halfords yet?

As already mentioned order it and build it up yourself at home, you don't need to be an expert to put wheels on, pedals and straighten the handlebars.

Unless I've missed something, I was tempted by the boardman fs pro bike last time I was in there looks nice but would get it built up myself.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    foy wrote:
    lol if only you knew ste the real picture you would be astounded my dear friend.

Buy a proper bike then. That would astound me.
  • The Rookie
    foy wrote:
    My flabber is waiting to be gasted, meantime I will remain cynical.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    halfords are a joke! Just been in and they have no Gt Zaskars left anywhere in the uk. Said the last time they did the ball burnished one was around mid 90s! They are a joke!
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    You wanted to buy a Carrera from Halfords..

that's the joke for me :lol:
  • cooldad
    ednino wrote:

Where else would you buy one from?

Or did I miss the joke rofl lol etc.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    ednino wrote:

In that case the joke is on you, so damn good bikes at very reasonable prices, but your posts suggest you have a downer on Halfords....but then you do appear to ride a road bike.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    ednino wrote:

In that case the joke is on you, so damn good bikes at very reasonable prices, but your posts suggest you have a downer on Halfords....but then you do appear to ride a road bike.

I bought my Carrera from Halfords and I've had no problems with it. :roll:
  • I bought a Boardman from them, was on sale due to old model, chased round stores to find one my size, reserved it, drove to store, got a hefty discount including a further discount upon collection. Thats what happens with sale stock, got to move fast and try your luck. Got a great bike at nearly 50% off, no issues with Halfords
  • 2x10
    2x10 Posts: 79
    Re: Halfords you could not make it up.

Postby Berkshire Rich » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:22 pm
    I bought a Boardman from them, was on sale due to old model, chased round stores to find one my size, reserved it, drove to store, got a hefty discount including a further discount upon collection. Thats what happens with sale stock, got to move fast and try your luck. Got a great bike at nearly 50% off, no issues with Halfords

There should be a like button somewhere...
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    nothing wrong with Carrera's bikes
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5