Tapering

Holiday Ray
Holiday Ray Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Health, fitness & training
Hi Folks,
First time posting on here, having read some real knowledgeable comments by you lot on various topics on the forum.

What I haven't managed to find here (probably missed it :roll: ) is advice about tapering training, leading up to an event.

I'm entering a 50k XC event in October and having started my training a few months ago, my fitness levels are building up nicely. I completed the event last year in a cr*p time (spent the previous day grafting at home, with building work - fell off me bike on the day) all stuff that added up to a slow time, but I still really, really enjoyed the day.

So this year I have promised myself to prepare better and having read some stuff about 'tapering' I'm still really none the wiser about what sort of mileage/effort I should be putting in during the couple of weeks or so leading up to the event. I know that I will need to start 'easing off' leading up to the event, but don't know by how much !

Any suggestions would be welcome

Cheers !

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't do anything mental in the 2 weeks before, ease right off the week of the event. Don't do nothing, but just get out for a gentle spin most days to keep your legs turning.
  • Thanks a bunch njee. The event (Viking Challenge) is on Sunday. I'm going out for my last gentle spin tomorrow, then I'll rest up for the 3 days before

Cheers

Ray