Upgrading a Giant 4.5 XtC (2008)

Fat.Bibendum
Fat.Bibendum Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello folks,

I've got a Giant 4.5 XtC which I've owned from new since 2008. Originally this was bought on the CycleScheme and used mainly for commuting duties with the odd trail ride thrown in. Six years later and it's still going strong and I am toying with the idea of a new bike or simply polishing this one, the trouble is I have no idea where to start or what specific parts I should be looking for.

The front fork is well past its best and doesn't lock out any more.

The crank (TruVativ IsoFlow) weighs about 2.4 tonnes but I've no idea what to swap it for because it seems I would need to swap the BB too (currently a TruVativ Power Spline).

I would also guess that upgrading wheels would be a good move but once again I have no idea what to look for.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA. :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Without knowing what’s on there, what stuff weighs, what still works and what doesn't, it's hard to say.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Without knowing what’s on there, what stuff weighs, what still works and what doesn't, it's hard to say.

Ah, yes, good point, apologies.

Fork - RockShox Dart 2 (80mm of travel)
    Crank/Chain Rings - TruVativ IsoFlow 44/32/22
    Cassette - SRAM PG950 11-34
    Chain - Shimano HG73
    BB - TruVativ Power Spline
    Hubs - Formula
    Rims - Alex DP-17 (26")

No idea on individual weights of items. All of it still works (with the exception of the fork lock out) but all of the items listed above have seen better days, the chain, cassette and crank could do with being replaced IMO.

:)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had the same bike for a while. Mine was 26lb using relatively cheap parts.
    You could loose a lot of weight with a set of Rockshox Reba forks and Shimano Deore cranks.
  • I had the same bike for a while. Mine was 26lb using relatively cheap parts.
    You could loose a lot of weight with a set of Rockshox Reba forks and Shimano Deore cranks.

Thank you. I would hope that the Reba forks just slot straight in - is that the case? :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only if you get some with a straight 1.125 steerer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't forget to make sure you get a fork with the right size axle for your wheel as well.