Rear tyre too big.

Caveman_Chris
Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I bought a pair of maxxis HR2 2.35's for my whyte t129s but the rear is too wide and catches when pedalling or cornering hard with lowish pressure (but it's slow rolling) and I can get it to where it can barely turn with high pressure.

This is due to the narrowness of where the chain stay meets the pivot point, if that makes sense. Anyway.....is there any point in trimming the knobs on the very edge to fit as I don't want it to wear through the chainstay?

I'm running a beaver at the min and it's a touch aggressive in tread design and too fragile in sidewall for the current conditions.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks CC
'14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
OnOne Codeine 29er

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you trim the side knobs you will loose cornering grip and traction in soft mud.
    Sell it and get a tyre that fits in your frame better.
  • Yeah,that's what I was thinking. It doesn't need too much off, but still...

It's a pain as hr2's are great for where and how I ride but I can't find them in a slimmer size in 29"

Thanks CC
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    Used to fit washers on the axels until the tires fit, went three quarters of an inch to get some Panaracers to fit once!
  • Been doing some research online and......

Is it possible to move the offset of the rim away from the side (drive side I think) that's it's fouling and more into the centre by fiddling with the spokes?

CC
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The rim should be in the centre.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mckeann
    mckeann Posts: 6
    Roughly how much clearance do you need to consider a wider tyre???

I just bought a cannondale trigger 26er. It has Schwalbe racing Ralph's fitted to front and rear. I was considering a gripper front tyre. Just wondering if I can go up a size aswell

Rear looks pretty tight at less than 5mm clearance, front has a finger widths gap (10mm plus)

Cheers

Newbie Neil (sticking with the Schwalbe naming system)