Ribble/Planet X V Boardman

alansd1980
alansd1980 Posts: 201
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
Out riding a few weeks back and a mate said he was looking to upgrade from his Alu road bike to something carbon with a better group set. He currently rides a ribble and said he was going for a Planet X r something, Matt black with ultegra. He mentioned his ctw scheme was through halfords so I suggested a board man on that.
He turned his nose up saying that there was too much of a stigma with halfords bike and if he turned up to his club ride people would take the piss.

This got me thinking, in my tiny mind I for no obvious reason think of boardmans as well made, well specced bikes that get let down by the people that build them. Planet X/ribble for some reason make me think of cheap bikes great spec but I would be more concerned by the qc on the frame. At those prices something must be dodgy!

Any other thoughts?
Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
FCN 4

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You only need to buy the bike from Halfords (and only if you're in the UK) - it doesn't even need to have left the box. Boardman bikes are great value and, in my own experience (with a Boardman CX I no longer own) support from Boardman is great. Anybody that takes the wee wee is daft.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I own a planet x and a boardman (steel and alu).

Both are good in their own different ways, as someone said to me, you are better of with high end alu than low grade carbon.

By the way, my px want very well built at all.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I think of them in much the same way. Cheap for what you get, which is no bad thing. I think both mean more thought has gone into the purchase than seeing yet another Specialized Allez.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've heard the entry PX frames in carbon aren't quite as stiff. As Rubertoe said, I'd opt for a higher grade alu frame than a lower end carbon frame.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The Boardman carbon frames are pretty good though. The kit is pretty good too and easily upgradable. A friend has just bought one and I'm pretty impressed by the value.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp
    Sorry, was a comment about the PX rather than the Boardman.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Just to make you aware I believe that Ribble and Planet X will charge a premium to use CTW vouchers with them (I think its 10% of the cost of the bike). Halfords however wont so the boardman is even better value now.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    WRT QC on cheap frames, I've had some issues with the headset on my PX SL Pro, but this was due to a stem that was the wrong size. The frame itself has been sound for the 3-4 years I've had it. Its been fine for the commute and UK sportives. Though on the Marmotte last year it felt a bit noodly on the descents.

To be honest, he should just buy the bike that he likes the look of most. Theres no point worrying about stigma from others. And besides, your performance on the bike will sway more opinion than your choice of bike itself imo.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cjcp wrote:
    I've heard the entry PX frames in carbon aren't quite as stiff. As Rubertoe said, I'd opt for a higher grade alu frame than a lower end carbon frame.

But then I'd opt for a lower end (but stiff) carbon frame rather than a higher grade alloy frame. All works out pretty even in the end! :wink:

You don't (or shouldn't) judge a frame by it's brand but by its own qualities.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cjcp
    Rolf F wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

But then I'd opt for a lower end (but stiff) carbon frame rather than a higher grade alloy frame. All works out pretty even in the end! :wink:

You don't (or shouldn't) judge a frame by it's brand but by its own qualities.

If the carbon frame was stiff, I'd be keen to go for that (assuming the budget allows), but I'm not sure some of the carbon frames above are that stiff.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."