Another what shall I buy thread!!!!

longtimenoride
longtimenoride Posts: 8
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I am new to the forum after spending some time lurking on here. I used to ride a Marin 20 years ago but haven't ridden since I was young and now I have hit the big 40 I have decided to get a new bike and lose that weight I seem to have acquired.

I was going to get a road bike but I find riding on the road dangerous and a bit dull if I am honest. Mountain biking is where its at for me and I feel more motivated in riding that in the winter in the rain and mud than a road bike.

My problem is there are just so many makes on the market now.

I want to spend under £350 and will upgrade if I love it next year and don't want a used bike although I know the advantages it brings. So new bikes only but can anyone help tell me whether these are good or bad?

Jamis
Whistle
diamond back
saracen

They are have similar gearing at this price but I don't want to buy one that is considered the cheapie brand.

Any help would be gladly welcomed.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Go outdoors Calibre two two at that price level. Superb for the cash.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Go outdoors Calibre two two at that price level. Superb for the cash.

That is the best bike at that price easily.
  • Looks good but only comes in 18 and 20 inch frame and I ideally need a 16 or a 17 at a push but 18 wouldn't work.

Any other ideas?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    How do you know? Not all bikes are sized the same.
  • I wasnt aware of that. The guides all talk about the middle of the crank to the seatpost.

I will try it some out in the next few days and see what is the difference, Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The most important dimension is the effective top tube length, you can't adjust bike length much once you've bought it, the industry picked just about the least relevant dimension they could when deciding how to advertise frame sizes....

People with shorter legs need a smaller frame for example, not because of their shorter legs, but because they will almost certainly have shorter arms.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • longtimenoride
    longtimenoride Posts: 8
    edited July 2014
    UPDATE

So after going to the bike shops and looking at these machines I can safely say I need to up my budget. From reading and talking to some guys in these shops I need and want to throw more at it.

I tried the Calibre two two at Go outdoors as I was recommended that under £500 nothing beats it and the 18 is too big and they dont do anything smaller which is a shame as it would have been a done deal.

Also, having just done a 22 mile ride I need a better bike than the one I am riding!

I definitely want lock out on the suspension as I am riding one without it and its annoying especially when going up hills. I also want hydraulic discs too and you need to spend £400 plus to get that so I don't mind that at all. Having looked at some of the bikes I want to go for a 650B and have seen these four which will be about £500-£600. Any preferences or anything else that beats these?
    http://www.pedalscyclecentre.co.uk/m1b0 ... e-603-2015
    http://boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_comp650b.html
    http://www.pedalscyclecentre.co.uk/m1b0s2p4665/Sco...
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 005/66627/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't need lockout on forks if they have a reasonable damper.

Three of those links are broken, only the one to the Scott works and that has dreadful forks and pretty cheap bits everywhere else, in fact that is shockingly bad value and should be being sold at about the same £350 as other bikes using the same components.

For that Budget (£550) look at the Rockrider 8.1 at Decathlon, the 'go to' bike at that price point and it has forks that are 4 levels better than the Scott!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Links above are now fixed.

I don't have a decathlon near me so will have to make a special trip. Any thoughts on the other bikes. I am leaning towards the Whyte or the Boardman.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • That Saracen is on offer down from £499 to £349.

Should I be going for this and save some cash versus the rest?
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Well, I would go for the Boardman or the Decathlon RR 8.1.

Or if you fancy a 29er a Voodoo Bizango.
  • To close the thread I bought the Saracen Mantra and it arrived today after test riding one on Friday and placing my order.

Thanks for your help