Supersix headset problems

chris13
chris13 Posts: 148
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Just after some advice. Built up my new supersix frame and all is well apart from headset. Everything is new and bearings are installed in correct manner with split washer. Spacers and stem in place with stem loose. Top cap and expander at correct length to be in line with bottom stem bolt. I have 30mm spacers below stem and 15mm above so in line with recommendations, although cannondale say no spacers above stem. I have read up on this and many say it is fine.

As soon as I tighten expander bolt and preload bearings it goes from rocking on front brake to being too tight and bearings are dragging. A 10th of a turn goes from the one extreme to another. Any thoughts as I have done the whole process five or six times now.

Cheers for any help

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Cannondale-SuperSix-Headset-15--1-18.jpgPersonally, I'd trim the stem so that no spacers are required above.
    Just replaced the bearings on my Caad10 with a Supersix set as it was cheaper to buy joblot that way.

Ok, the main conical spacer with Supersix on it.. have you also got the much shallower spacer with Supersix on it?
    It goes underneath the taller spacer... dont ask why havent a clue... without it, it binds the bearings
  • chris13
    That sounds possible. Used the flat one first without the larger cannondale spacer and did not bind but stack height was not right. I'll try that underneath. Don't like look of the big spacer. Prefer normal carbon ones, but will try that. Thanks for that. I'll update when tried. Cheers :D
  • chris13
    Perfect. Works perfectly. No binding at all and really easy to fine tune all torques. Thanks so much. Ready to roll for tomorrow. Cheers :D