Advice Needed - tools for SM-BBR60 and Ultegra crank removal

jnellers
jnellers Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I need to remove my bottom bracket and cranks, and am at a loss as to exactly which tools I need for my particular BB and crankset.

THe Bottom bracket is a Shimano BBR60 ("SM-BBR60 1.37 x 24 ROAD") with a Tripeak BB30 converter. The crankset is Shimano Ultegra 6800. I've attached a couple of photos.

I assume I need a tool to get the cranks off, then a different tool to get the BB out. Does anyone know exactly what tools I need?

Thanks!

IMG_1361_zps4c7d5aa3.jpg

IMG_1362_zps34c92147.jpg

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    This tool to get the cranks off, This tool to get the BB out and This tool for after you've finished :)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jnellers
    Hi redvee,

Thanks for the reply! The first 2 links you posted are for the same tool, does it do both the cranks and BB or was it a mistake? I think from the product description it does both but wanted to double check :)

And I will definitely need to add the third tool to my growing collection :D

Thanks
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yes it does both. Undo the pinch bolts with an allen key and fish out the safety tab that sits in the gap in the crank. Use the little plastic flower shaped thing to unscrew the plastic end cap, pull off the non drive side crank then extract the chainset from the other side. Then you use the big end of the tool to unscrew the BB cups. Driveside unscrews clockwise, non drive side anticlockwise.
  • jnellers
    Great, thanks for the advice keef66, I will order it now and give it a go!
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    keef66 wrote:
    Yes it does both. Undo the pinch bolts with an allen key and fish out the safety tab that sits in the gap in the crank. Use the little plastic flower shaped thing to unscrew the plastic end cap, pull off the non drive side crank then extract the chainset from the other side. Then you use the big end of the tool to unscrew the BB cups. Driveside unscrews clockwise, non drive side anticlockwise.

Keef - if I'm not mistaken this is an Ultegra 6800 BB and the bearing cups on the BB are of a smaller diameter than the earlier series of Hollowtech BB's. I installed a 6800 BB on my last build and it came with a plastic insert that fitted into a standard BB tool (like the one you have linked to) to enable you to fit and remove these smaller diameter bearing.

I think OP might need to get himself something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/28129463 ... 0&ff14=108
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You may well be correct.
  • jnellers
    Yep, got the cranks off OK but the BB Cups are too small for the tool, will buy the adaptor and then hopefully it will work. Thanks again for the advice!