Worth waiting for new Campag groupsets?

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Was just about to buy Chorus for my new project however I have read that in a few months it is being updated. I notice they are moving to the BCD to take both standard and compact but besides that is it worth waiting and putting something else on for now from my other bike?
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    The BCD change would be worth it for me - depends if you want the option of swopping between compact and double
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I'd say worth the wait. Even if you end up going for the current one, as there're sure to be discounts on their way.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    If they end up being the same price, i reckon the wait would be worth it, the BCD thing is handy, and i wish i could change my rings easily.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the BCD issue. Bear in mind that the new spider will be a proprietary design limiting you to Campag's own chainrings which will probably be hard to source and expensive.

If switching between compact and standard matters, buy a compact chainset and a set of 53/39 chainrings for a 110mm BCD spider (note that you would need Campag compatible rings as the bolt behind the crank arm is stepped out a couple of mm).

Rob
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Why do people need to change chainrings? I use 53/39 cannot imagine any situation when I would want different If you ride really hilly routes you buy a compact then you can fit what ever chainrings as if you look in the TA catalogue you can buy chainrings in form 11 speed campagnolo chainset (nerius) in 34T 36T 38T 39T 48T 50T 52T 53T so this is a problem that has already been solved. This is nothing more than a gimmick masked up as a selling point to get you to buy expensive OEM chainrings just like what shimano have done. Given the cost of campagnolo chainrings you will never be doing it.

If I were you buy the old groupset it is prettier and you can use cheaper TA chainrings if you really need to change.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    So what you are recommending is basically buy an old campag compact and use TA rings to give you the choice rather than a new campag compact and use campag rings. Fair enough I suppose the TA rings are cheaper - suppose it depends if the TA rings shift/last as well as the campag ones.

I would stick by it being worth having the option to switch rings though - something like the Marmotte or Fred Whitton presents different demands to a flat crit and while you can change cassettes I'd suggest that you'd want to be changing chainrings and cassettes for these events.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Tiesetrotter
    Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
    I think Chorus is OK but I found TA's didn't quite fit my Campagnolo Centaur. Make sure you check carefully.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    If you think you are going to buy a power meter then you wont be using the Campag chainset. Unless you chose Garmin pedals or powertap. Just something to put in the mix.
  • Brian1
    Brian1 Posts: 595
    Sorry for being thick! Why wouldn't you use a campag if you were going to buy a powermeter?
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Depends if you can live with the hideous new styling or not!
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Why do people need to change chainrings? I use 53/39 cannot imagine any situation when I would want different If you ride really hilly routes you buy a compact then you can fit what ever chainrings as if you look in the TA catalogue you can buy chainrings in form 11 speed campagnolo chainset (nerius) in 34T 36T 38T 39T 48T 50T 52T 53T so this is a problem that has already been solved. This is nothing more than a gimmick masked up as a selling point to get you to buy expensive OEM chainrings just like what shimano have done. Given the cost of campagnolo chainrings you will never be doing it.

If I were you buy the old groupset it is prettier and you can use cheaper TA chainrings if you really need to change.

Do these TA rings bypass the BCD issue then?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Brian1 wrote:
    Sorry for being thick! Why wouldn't you use a campag if you were going to buy a powermeter?

SRM and Power 2 Max make crank based meters for the current Campagnolo chainset. I can't see either of them designing a new one in a hurry.

There are other crank based options but it means binning the Campagnolo chainset. Or you go Garmin Vector.

Stages wont work on a carbon crank.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Miles253 wrote:

Do these TA rings bypass the BCD issue then?

Nope. 110 and 135.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    TA do many rings by the wrong ones and they won't fit. They do 110BCD rings specifically for campagnolo 5 arm compact chainsets the other 110 BCD rings they do won't fit as they are for standard 110 BCD chainsets that what you did Tiesetrotter I think.

TA rings shift just as well and last just as long as campagnolo ones. This is the problem with buying online people often buy the wrong thing. It is always good to phone the seller or e-mail a question. If you can't phone or they seem unsure try some else until you get a firm answer. There is nothing wrong with TA rings if you buy the right ones!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.