26er tyres, for XC, a few races, and trail centre

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have been running Nobby Nics for a good few years, had one flat in all that time, so dead reliable. Now looking worn, and at a recent local MTB race (only for fun!) they were woeful in loose bark, soft mud and slippery tree roots. So looking to replace them, with a similar durability, light and good on some of the looser stuff.

I do have some Specialized Ground Control bliss 2 ready tyres, won in a competition, currently fitted to the wifes bike. Are these any good on loose mud and bark? Is it worth considering going tubeless, not sure if my current wheels are compatible, what is a rough cost to go tubeless, if I have the wheels and tyres.

What else is worth considering, prefer something light weight, and I am quite a light rider if a little clumsy on the rough stuff. A big fan of the decent Schnabel tyres, they do irk well, but not got £££s to spend.

The bike is a HT, mainly used at Trail Centres (Llandegla Black), the local hills inc rolling hills, but some rocky rough stuff, and local races that seem to consist of wooded trails, full of loose muddy and bark filled trails.

Worth noting I don't actually ride mtb much, 70% road, 25% CX and commute, about 5% mtb, perhaps more so come winter!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nobby Nics from Germany - Bike24 were cheapest last time I looked. They're on par with other offerings.

Alternatively the Racing Ralph is lighter, same tread on the shoulders, bit less in the middle. Rolls faster.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm getting on well with rocket rons.
  • njee20
    I also like Rons, and they're on sale for £15 at Planet X according to the email I got this morning. Can be fragile though, lighter carcass than a Ralph/Nic.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Maxxis Aspen.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thanks for the responses. Brandwise I would like to stick to Schwable as they have given good service. Having said that, I do have new (won them!) Spesh Ground Controls that are tempting me with a go at tubeless. I am just concerned it could get messy and a faff.
  • njee20
    Schwalbe work tubeless very well.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    WTB Mutano (if you can still find them). Very fast, tubeless ready, great edge grip.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris