Courier bag for shopping - Questions

M-Loch!
M-Loch! Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

Id appreciate some help here. This is my first courier bag. In honesty I thought much like a kettle it would be easy. But this thing has left me with a few Qs.

I went for this as its half price.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/evoc-courier-bag-25-litre-2013/

Got it and its as expected. Great for what id need but two things have me baffled.

1 - (major problem) The strap that goes across your shoulder has padding. However unless mistaken this padding cannot be moved. This means the bag has to hang from one side (left) where I would much rather have this the other way around (right). Right just feels natural to me. Is there a way around this? Seems mad for an initially £100 bag not to have functionality to allow the rider to decide.

2 - (minor problem) There are two adjustable straps dangling from the bottom of the bag. What purpose do they offer? Not such a problem as I can just cut them off. But don't want to cut them off if they may be of use later.

Im going to work out how to post up some photos to reenforce what I am saying here as its hard to explain. But maybe a more experienced commuter has already done this dance and can help me out? Be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• snig
    snig Posts: 428
    why can't you just put it around the shoulder you choose? what's stopping it? looks like the padding goes the length of the strap?

guessing the strap is not detachable, only other way is having the logo on the inside.

this video may help with the extra straps issue http://vimeo.com/6109538
  • M-Loch!
    M-Loch! Posts: 5
    Hi Snig,

Mate that video was helpful TY

Yeah, you can of course put the bag around any shoulder you choose but the padding only goes half the length of the strap. And you can not move it of the strap. You can adjust the length of the strap so yeah one side comes out but the other side it 'hard stitched' with no way of removing.

Im not exactly the smallest of guys. Im 6th 2 and 17 stone. Im wondering if this is whats making it so awkward to fit. Then again I'm far from enormous. Theres bigger guys than me about.

In honesty with the bag retailing at its full price of £100 I'm surprised it isn't totally adjustable.

Thanks again for the reply mate. Slow forum here.
  • snig
    snig Posts: 428
    glad it was useful.

If nothing else works and you enjoy the bag enough to spend a few more quid on it, might be worth dropping it into a cloths alteration type place and getting some extra padding sewn on?

I hear what you are saying about the price and lack of shoulder options, I'm a leftie so sort of used to it now ;-)

Yep slow around here, I think the mtb section is a little busier so for those questions that can be posted in both, maybe worth trying in there instead.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I have the same EVOC courier bag and find it really useful. The strap is only going to go over one shoulder due to the mechanism to shorten and lengthen it. I guess you are just going to work with this as it is not detachable. Finding the sweet spot for the weight of the bag and having it centered on your back is the most important thing. I have the strap as tight as possible.

If you look at the picture on the Wiggle page you can see the function of the 2 straps at bottom. I never use them as the velcro is secure enough for me.