Wet weather biking-charity ride today

lm_trek
lm_trek Posts: 1,470
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Im doing a charity ride today and tbh underestimated how bad the weather will be, im still going to do it, but my mtb gear is a bit heavy duty for a road ride and I will sweat like a pig in the heat.

After some recommendations, do I get a jacket and any recommendations? ive got a gillet but not sure that's up to the job today, bib shorts ok on the base or should I get something else for the bottom half? mud guards? im riding 75 miles today Hereford to Birmingham via all Tesco stores on the way. Shoes I have sprayed with some waterproofing that seems to of worked in the past.

Ive got 2 hours before I have to head to Hereford.

Comments

• macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Can you get to a shop for a cheap waterproof? Bottom half should be ok if just in bibs. For MTBing i have an altura night vision jacket which is great. but not sure you can get one on short notice. Good luck and don't aim for the puddles in the roads :)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • lm_trek
    Cheers and yep off to evanscycles, just checking the weather I might be lucky lol!! famous last words eh.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    If it is anything like it is in the south east, I would have thought a gilet will be fine. It is extremely warm, and even if it chucks it down, I am not sure I would want to wear a waterproof, even for a long ride.

If it is on and off rain, you will dry very quickly in this heat. A gilet will keep your chest warm.

Riding in real rain, in really hot conditions is a fun experience - embrace the rain.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It is going to be warm rain, which is actually pretty nice to ride in IMO; stick with your short sleeves and normal shorts. You might want to think about something to keep the rain out of your eyes though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How did you get on ?
  • lm_trek
    It was an interesting day tbh, train to Hereford got hit by lighting, we got stuck in Ledbury so an additional mileage. Soaked straight through thunder storm as we rode, the scenery was amazing. In the end I rode 90miles and raised £75 through justgiving and in my store the guys raised another £300 so worth it in the end.