Just tried my new road bike

redrabbit
redrabbit Posts: 93
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
My first road bike - a Giant Defy 3. Only rode a road bike once for a very short trip about 4 years ago.

I took the bike to a nearby car park - empty so I could just mess around. I'm astonished at how different it is to my mountain bike. That may sound stupid, but I mean just steering, and standing up to go fast, it's so so responsive and at first felt unbalanced and wobbly.

I went out on the road for just a few minutes to see what it was like. Very scary, and felt far more vulnerable on a road bike than mountain bike.

Also, I found my hands ached a little, plus my feet did two.

The bike is fully fitted, and I'm using yellow cleats so it has some movement. I'm guessing it's just my body not being used to it.

Just wanted to share my experience. Waiting for a decent day (as in not BOILING and not wet) to go for a proper cycle.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    First day of the school summer holidays and we have weather warnings for rain storms! Typically good timing as it's supposed to be boiling and wet this weekend.

Good luck finding a decent day!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Felt exactly the same when I got mine. Going round corners at any sort of pace had me bracing for a fall just because I wasn't used to the skinny tyres. You will probably ache a little at first as it's a little less of a natural position to a mountain bike, I had incredible neck ache at first. But the difference in how enjoyable riding on the road it between the bikes is remarkable. If you're already pretty fit from mountain biking you'll be surprised at how you eat up the miles.
  • funkyg
    funkyg Posts: 68
    The thing that bothered me when first going from mtb was how narrow the bars were, that seemed to mess up my balance. You'll get there, we all do!
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Once you get your balance and ride smoothly road bikes eat up the miles rapidly, enjoy your bike ;)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Also remember your MTB descent skills, you'd be amazed how many roadies are terrified of going over 40 mph because they can't handle a bike.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    You'll get there. I was petrified when I went out for the first time. and that was only going round the small estate I lived on. narrow bars. skinny tyres. I was just waiting to fall off. that was before spd-sl's too. that just adds to the fun.
    but stick with it. every minute is your body and mind getting used to the change. good luck and enjoy
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I couldn't ride on the drops downhill as I didn't feel in control.I now do it without a thought.I spend more time on the road than the MTB nowadays and it feels weird riding with 730mm bars when I do.
    RE the foot/hand pain.I think the hand pain is just you not being used to the riding position and the foot pain could be the same.Having said that I just couldn't get comfortable in road shoes so I use MTB shoes and eggbeaters.
  • redrabbit
    redrabbit Posts: 93
    UPDATE:

So far, so good.

After trying the bike out for 20 minutes in a car park I've been for a few rides:

Ride 1: 20 miles - amazed I did so far on my first go. Sore neck and lower back (yes, bike has been professionally fitted)

Ride 2: 25 miles - hilly is an understatement. Very hard but good

Ride 3 (today): 30 miles. Neck and back pain is easing. A few small things annoying me like gear slipping.

In 6 weeks I have a 50 mile sportive which I'm training for. I'm a bodybuilding / powerlifter but enjoy this form of cardio and time spent is nice. Going to start doing 2 rides a week - a main one and then one of 10-15 miles to keep things going.

I also do a ton of stretching and foam rolling which I think helps.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The gears slipping if it us at the rear will just be the cable stretching on a new bike which is normal. If you check the web there are loads of guides about adjusting gears or if you get a free service with the bike mention it to the bike shop. It is very easy to fix.