bottom bracket upgrade question

tawraste
tawraste Posts: 8
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,
I'm new around here, but can anyone help please?
I have a felt z95 and the Bb is listed as an FSA square tapered 68x110.5mm.
I'd like to get a 105 5700 group set but I am worried that the bottom bracket is too different.
Will it fit straight on?
Will the pedals end up being wider apart due to the external bearings?
Absolutely any advice on this at all would be very gratefully received.
Thanks,
Tawraste

Comments

• simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    A hollowtech bb should fit the frame no problem. Q-factor (pedal distance) will increase, but not sure by how much, presume it wouldn't be an issue though, else no one would buy bikes with a hollowtech bb.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    q-factor won't necessarily increase, as the crank profile is different to compensate for the wider HT2 BB. In any case, you don't need to upgrade the crankset - it will work perfectly well with whatever else you fit to the frame.
  • tawraste
    tawraste Posts: 8
    Thanks guys, that's good news either way.
    There isn't anything wrong with my existing crank and it does have the right amount of teeth.
    If I changed it, it would be to have a complete groupset.
    The weight saving if a hollowtech can wsit realistically until I'm competing for my first tour de France win....
    Thanks again!
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I've got a 105 bb holloetec with a fsa gossamer and works fine a gental tap with a rubber mallet to get it to seat properly and no problems but not to sure about square tapper
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • sigorman85 wrote:
    I've got a 105 bb holloetec with a fsa gossamer and works fine a gental tap with a rubber mallet to get it to seat properly and no problems but not to sure about square tapper

105 HT2 won't work with a square taper BB - you would need to remove the existing BB and fit an HT2 one. As other have said though why bother? Unless you are super wealth and have been upgrading this bike for ages already there must b eloads more worthwhile things to upgrade than crankset :!:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "works fine a gental tap with a rubber mallet "

If you go about tapping your gentals with a rubber mallet you might be glad the pedals are further apart! :wink:
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Hahahaha hahahah lol
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • deer_dance
    deer_dance Posts: 44
    tawraste wrote:
    Hi all,
    I'm new around here, but can anyone help please?
    I have a felt z95 and the Bb is listed as an FSA square tapered 68x110.5mm.
    I'd like to get a 105 5700 group set but I am worried that the bottom bracket is too different.
    Will it fit straight on?
    Will the pedals end up being wider apart due to the external bearings?
    Absolutely any advice on this at all would be very gratefully received.
    Thanks,
    Tawraste

Recently swapped a cartridge type BB (Truvativ power spline in my case) for a HT2 bottom bracket and fitted the 105 crank.

The chain rings sat further inboard than with the SRAM gear I took off so front derailleur needed adjusting. Suspect the pedals are also narrower to the bike as noted above.

No problems though and pleased I made the swap.