The dodo egg of forks

rossie250
rossie250 Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I seem to be having a problem finding some suitable forks, a simple task I thought!

Could use some expert opinions!

I would like some 100mm travel forks with a 1 1/8 steerer and 15mm QR in white around 1.5kgs.

Why is it so hard to find some ? :cry:

Is there some kind of fork buying frenzy taking place so nobody has stock or is it a really obscure setup.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be great, models in mind are fox 32 float or Rshox Reba/Sid and want to spend around £280-£350

Thinking of adding a some 9mmQR adapters to the front wheel or getting one of the Cane creek lower bottom brackets so i can use tapered but if I cant find a solution......but not ideal.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you can convert to tapered you'll have a load more options.

The trouble is that became the norm a long time ago, before 15mm thru-axles on XC forks, so you're looking for an old steerer standard, with a modern drop out standard. Many forks were either 1.125" straight and QR, or 1.5 tapered and QR15.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    what 15mm axle wheels have you got - many can be converted to 9mm which would increase the likely hood of finding somthing.

I've got a manitou mavel 100mm fork in white 1 1/8 steerer for sale but its 9mm.

there are some forks that can be bought in that style (manitou and fox) but you'll probably have to pay full wack for them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What frame have you got? It may be possible to fit a tapered headset
  • rossie250
    Sorry for the late reply.

I have Easton EA90XC wheels with a 2013 trek 4900 frame.

Easton have just changed distributor and it's a bit of a pain getting parts, it's about £30 to convert the hub vs £30 for the headset.

I'm fairly sure I can fit the tapered fork with my frame with the correct bottom part of the headset so maybe this is the best/future proof option.

Next problem is the 100mm limitation on travel even though the frame looks pretty bomb proof at the headtube!

God take me back to 2004! Things were so much easier
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-re ... 58507.html

Currently out of stock and in white and 120mm but can be reduced with either a travel spacer or a new air shaft if the spacer won't work.
  • njee20
    I'm fairly sure I can fit the tapered fork with my frame with the correct bottom part of the headset so maybe this is the best/future proof option.

You can only do it if you've got an internal headset. I'm not convinced yours does.
  • rossie250
    9FE8D745-7716-4237-B033-ADB56B1BAD79.jpg

Here it is
  • njee20
    Looks likely. I stand corrected, said the man in orthopaedic shoes.
  • divingmoose
    divingmoose Posts: 540
    I had the same issue when upgrading my kona hei hei 2010 model and ending up getting some fox float factory ctd with fit and Kashima coating. Last set from fox