When to replace brake pads

drlodge
drlodge Posts: 4,826
edited July 2014 in Workshop
My Campag brake pads are worn down quite a bit after 5,000 miles, but the slots are still visibile (I guess 2-3mm). Just wondering when they should be replaced e.g. once the slots are barely visibile or is there some reason to replace them sooner?
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The slots act as a wear guide so they are due to be replaced soon. Start looking to buy new blocks now then you won't be off the road for too long. You've got cable adjusters to compensate for the wear of the blocks.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've uust bought new blocks ready to replace them...and when I had the bike out for cleaning last night I notived the adjusters were pretty much at the end of their limit so I readjusted the cable length at the clamp.

Guess that tells me they are at or near the limit of where they're supposed to wear down to!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Definitely the slots should be seen as a decent indicator for a wear guide. Some pads (Swissstop for sure) also have a wear indicator marked on the top of the pad.

Just replaced the front ones on the commuter and Audax bike. Embarrassingly, the commuter ones were beyond the slots and pretty close to reaching the metal of the holder!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    i replace once the slots vanish

in the wet on my commute bike i found braking distance shot up once the slots were gone, presumably they help clear water quicker
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    campag blocks have a wear indicator line on them. Cant you see it?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You replace pads when the braking is no longer as good as you would like it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.