Vision 30 Wheels - replacing inner tubes

d598
d598 Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a RT58 from Planet X which came with Vision 30 wheels. I had to replace the inner tube on the rear and whilst I was at it I thought I would change the Tyres over to GP 4000s. It had taken me a good hour and half to replace the rear and I haven't finished the front. I have broken all my tyre levers and gone through three inner tubes - because the tyre is so tight, the last bit is a wrench over and keeps catching and pinch flatting.

I have never experienced this problem before and TBH not sure that I will able to carry out any repairs on the roadside. Am I doing anything wrong or is there any tricks to make it easier?

Thanks

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    You don't need tyre levers when fitting a tyre if you use the correct technique: i.e. pushing the bead of the tyre into the centre of the rim.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Phil562
    Phil562 Posts: 73
    I had the same problem on my Pro Carbon ..... But on the roadside ...... My LBS recommended Birzmen tyre levers, much more robust then cheapy levers, did the trick however still a slight struggle, though once you have the knack ;-)
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    I have vision 40 and can do them with my hands.

Watch the video, (not vision specific) showing you how.
  • "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • d598
    Thanks guys!

I'm not sure how you can do these with your hands, it is almost impossible to them with tyre levers. Even when I do get them on, because it is a struggle, I have more often than not pinched the inner tube which means I have to start all over again. I have never had this trouble with any of my other bikes. Dippydog2 - is here any specific video to watch?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I think Dippydog2 is referring to this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
  • d598
    Thanks for that video link.

That video link demonstrates a similar process I use with the same tyre on my other wheels, but for the life of me I just can't do it on these ones. I have no confidence of going out with these as I can't change the inner tube. I'm going to take them to my LBS to see if they can do it, failing that, I might pick up a set of those Zondas.
  • d598
    Took them to the LBS and he couldn't shift them, bloody ridiculous. Some new tyre levers ordered and maybe some new wheels!
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    Had the same problem with my Pro Carbon. I ended up buying some Lezyne tyre levers as my cheap plastics once just bent and wouldn't remove the tyre.
    I have now fitted GP4000s and can remove them ok now. It does get easier

Geoff