Trek Fuel EX6 brakes...

gregneedle
gregneedle Posts: 12
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I have a 2011 Trek Fuel EX which I have owned from new.

The bike wasn't ridden for approx 6 months and when i came to use it, the rear brake had locked on.
The brakes are Avis Elixir 3's. I have attempted to bleed the brakes which didn't work, then I re-built the callipers and they still aren't very good.

I spoke with a guy at my LBS today and he said they always get problems with Avid brakes and recommended upgrading to Shimano Deore brakes.

I am a little confused as the best corse of action, I'm happy to spend the money and up-grade the brakes, as tbh I always had the intention up upgrading the bike as and when parts started to need replacing, however the guy said 26" bikes are "old hat now" so is there any point in spending money on a bike that is ultimately out of date?

Now the bike is a few years old, I'm less precious about it so I like the idea of having a go at a rebuild and upgrading components along the way, but again, am I flogging an old horse?

These are the brakes I have shortlisted, any comments/ suggestions would be appreciated...

These seem cheap….

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod108802

as do these…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod67208

Also, what other parts are needed?

My existing rear rotor is 165mm so I would need a new rotor and new bracket?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Moved to buying advice as that is what you are asking not tech help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have same brakes as you, I had problems with mine seizing/locking but only when the temperature was hot as air was in them and a full bleed fixed them, not sure why yours air still locking after you bled them tho, unless you didn't bleed them properly. A lot of people same upgrade to shimano but I like to give avid the benefit of the doubt as I like the responsive feel of my brakes, plus I like any excuse to get my tool kit out and have a fettle on my bike. Your bikes only 3 years old, not really old is it! Re 26 inch, I hot two 26er I wouldn't get a 29er as I think the large wheels look kinda silly on a small frame whic I use, I'd get a 650b(27.5) next.
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    my old hope XC's did that when I left them for ages, all they needed was new brake fluid which was easy to do.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Exactly. Your bike is far from a 'dead horse.'

The Deore, SLX & XT brakes are all very good and I understand all have similar power. As you go up the range they get slightly lighter with some minor features added. Go for whichever the budget allows. I recently went for SLX as the mid option and they are excellent. You should get a pair for approx £100.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod83173

I watched a video and changed them myself, pretty easy even for a technical doofus like me.