10 Speed to 11 Speed for £350, is it worth it ?

lxtwin
lxtwin Posts: 12
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I was wondering if upgrading from 10 speed 105 to 11 speed Ultegra 6800 is worth it for £350 (front / rear derailleur, shifters, cassette and a chain). Does it make £350 worth of difference or is it better to save my money ?

Comments

• Doony
    Doony Posts: 46
    When your 105 system wears out, consider swapping then. But otherwise no, it's not anywhere near £350 for 2 extra gears you probably won't notice you have, or need. If you're feeling the need to spend on some upgrades, maybe some new wheels, which are 11 speed compatible, one less thing to worry about then as you upgrade parts in the future.
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Not to forget that you might need to change the freehub on all your wheels too :(
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It's worth upgrading for the shifting quality but that's your lot. 6700 and 5700 are pretty similar but the 6800 shift is a hell of a lot smoother and lighter.

Merlin £238 for the shifters and mechs, you'll pick a cassette up for £40 and a chain for £20 if you search.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Could you sell your old stuff to lay off some of the cost?

Personally, I love 6800. I think the upgrade was well worth it
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    For me - no its not worth it.

You could spend that £350 on a weekend in the Alps or something really good.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    lxtwin wrote:
    I was wondering if upgrading from 10 speed 105 to 11 speed Ultegra 6800 is worth it for £350 (front / rear derailleur, shifters, cassette and a chain). Does it make £350 worth of difference or is it better to save my money ?
    Only you will know if that extra expense is worth it for yourself. :|
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Depends on how you ride. I like to spin so am quite cadence sensitive, I find the extra gear noticeable to keep my cadence where I like it. For me it would be worth it.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Yes it's worth it. Not for the 11th cog but that Ultegra 6800 is way better than 5700
  • cougie wrote:
    For me - no its not worth it.

You could spend that £350 on a weekend in the Alps or something really good.

I would follow this advice.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Get it the 11 speed Ultegra as its the dog's. I've got it and its better than my old Dura-ace!

I see some have advocated you save your cash for a holiday or to save it when your 105 is gubbed. This is cycling and you treat yourself often as you deserve it(well this is what I tell the missus)
    Brian B.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ignore the extra cog. It's not worth it for the vast majority of people who will never even notice it. So knock that out of the consideration.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    This is just a silly question. While you may want opinions on the differences between groupsets, this is not the way to ask.
    The value of money is entirely dependent on how much of it you have and the demands placed on it.
    If you're struggling to put food on the table then no, it's not worth it. If you have all the money you could ever spend and you don't believe in charity then it doesn't matter what you spend on anything. It's a silly question.

What do you really want to know?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It's never worth it if your current groupset is in good working order. New shifters always feel a bit smoother, but smoother as a concept is worth maybe 10 quid, not 350... besides, within a year or two they won't be as smooth any more...
    There is also an element of FOBLO (fear of being left out)... they make you believe that 9 and 10 speed components will disappear from the market... which is not true of course, as three quarters of the geared bikes on this planet still work with 7 and 8 speed systems, go figure...
    left the forum March 2023