Budget Backpack/hydration

bj639
bj639 Posts: 76
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Any recommendations for cheap back packs with bladders? currently I have one of those under saddle bags, bottle cage and pump strapped to frame bt I would like if possible to go for a pack.

I am only after a relatively small one. enough to carry pump.inner tube, multi tool and maybe waterproof jacket now and again.

Saw a link to this but wondered a) if its cheap crap and b) whether its too big at 6l?

Are Camelbaks the ones to aim for or are there better options at the budget end?

Comments

• Do yourself a favour and go find one of these in Tesco : http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-hydra ... d=215-1572

Yes you can spend a lot more on suitable hydration packs, or even get a bag and bladder separate, but you won't beat that for quality / price.
  • bj639
    That's the one I met to link too but missed the link out!! You use one yourself? Wasn't sure if 6th was a bit big for my needs?
  • I've got loads of different bags I use, a lot from Alpkit but they're mostly bigger volume. Yes, I have that one, and the red one before that that was £5 (and probably the biggest bargain in the history of bargains).

6l is not that big by the time you've got a bladder full of liquid in it. It fits all the basics in (food / tools / pump / tube / emergency pacmac) and a bit more besides, which is dead handy.

I probably use that Tesco bag most out of all of them for local loops, it's added advantage over it's predecessor is the 'wrap around' shape which disguises the little added extra volume. As said, for 13 quid you won't get a better quality bag. Whether you want to change the bladder later is your choice.

Go in Tesco and have a look for yourself , then go into your LBS and compare with the expensive branded stuff.
  • bj639
    Cheers mate. To be honest for the amount I will use it 13 is a good price
  • bj639
    The blue and the red are Ctually only a tenner each so saved 3 quid!
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    I got one of these on sale the other day and am very happy with it. Enough room for what you intend and decent quality. Got a place to chuck the helmet when not in use as well.
    http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/running-accessories/hydration-packs/stride-hydro-bag-5l-p11342.aspx?cl=BLACK
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    ...the red one before that that was £5 (and probably the biggest bargain in the history of bargains)...

Yeah - I ordered one of the red ones to collect when they were reduced to £4 - when I picked up, it was a large box and I thought it was a bit weird - when I got home, I found out I got a box of 4 of them, for £4 - now THAT is the biggest bargain in the history of bargains!
  • bj639
    apreading wrote:
    ...the red one before that that was £5 (and probably the biggest bargain in the history of bargains)...

Yeah - I ordered one of the red ones to collect when they were reduced to £4 - when I picked up, it was a large box and I thought it was a bit weird - when I got home, I found out I got a box of 4 of them, for £4 - now THAT is the biggest bargain in the history of bargains!

winner!