Commuting Bike help

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
Hi just looking for inspiration for N+1.

I'm looking for a winter commuter that I could potentially use for some very light touring.

Requirements are:

1. FG / SS or Campag.
2. Must take full chromoplastic guards
3. Must take up to 28c tyres
4. Must take a rack.
5. Under a grand.
6. Preferably steel frame.

Options appear to be:

Ribble Steel.
Pearson Now You See Me.
Surly Pacer (not sure I can do this for under £1000) though
2nd hand Fratello

Be great for people's ideas please!

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Genesis Flyer with some cash left over to upgrade wheels and kit?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    You still using the Cooper?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    No I sold it to a mate - decided it was a bit small for me. He loves it though.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    How about one of the new Genesiseseses? What is the plural of Genesis? Genesii or Genesises?
    Now doing them with Campag.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Planet X Kaffenback 2 frame and forks £250
    Campag Centaur gruppo (from Merlin) £390
    That leaves you £360 for wheels and everything else.

Do-able for a grand if you have a spares box and find some inexpensive wheels.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Planet X Kaffenback 2 frame and forks £250
    Campag Centaur gruppo (from Merlin) £390
    That leaves you £360 for wheels and everything else.

Do-able for a grand if you have a spares box and find some inexpensive wheels.

i've no experience of the frameset but they do a complete bike for £799 including disc wheelset
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXKAFF2T ... -road-bike
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have a Kona Paddy Wagon (with bull horns) which seems to match your spec. I run guards and 27C Paves and it's fun to ride. The only thing I'm not certain about (only because I'm in Scotland at the moment and it's in Amsterdam) is the rack capability. Plenty of change from £1000 - enough to put some slightly more subtle wheels on - they're pretty "robust" which is great as I bump down a short set of steps into Vondel Park. Very very happy with it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Pop over to Neil's Wheels in Molesey as they have Cotic Escapade's in stock; all the mounting you would want, discs (including with SS if you want to run that) and you could run up to 35mm tyres.

Nice guys too.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Dolan FXE ticks all the boxes but is alu rather than steel:

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-track- ... gloss.html

Genesis Day One Disc appears to tick all of them:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... y-one-disc
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Planet X Kaffenback 2 frame and forks from ebay in brown- £150
    FTFY
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    What's the situation with a headset with something like that (the planet-x frame/fork). I could happily build a bike up to the point it comes to cutting a steerer/fitting a headset I know nothing at all.
  • clarkey cat
    Asprilla wrote:
    Pop over to Neil's Wheels in Molesey as they have Cotic Escapade's in stock; all the mounting you would want, discs (including with SS if you want to run that) and you could run up to 35mm tyres.

Nice guys too.

I've been having a chat with them recently about building up a Surly Cross-Check.
    I think the Cyclo-Cross option is a pretty good option actually considering that this will be my last serious outlay for at least 2 years (when I'm allowed to buy a bespoke steel frame with top-end record for my 35th) so I'd might as well get something that can cover all bases:
    Off-road riding with my kid
    Commuting
    Touring
    Pootling with the wife

Going to pop in tomorrow morning again and see if we can try and do it for under a grand if I provide the wheels.
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

Nice guys too.

I've been having a chat with them recently about building up a Surly Cross-Check.
    I think the Cyclo-Cross option is a pretty good option actually considering that this will be my last serious outlay for at least 2 years (when I'm allowed to buy a bespoke steel frame with top-end record for my 35th) so I'd might as well get something that can cover all bases:
    Off-road riding with my kid
    Commuting
    Touring
    Pootling with the wife

Going to pop in tomorrow morning again and see if we can try and do it for under a grand if I provide the wheels.

I'm going to put my Singular Peregrine on eBay and get NW to source me an Escapade fame to build up as SS. I've also got a spare rear mech and I'll get a bar-end shifter or a band mounted frame one to run it as a 10 speed.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    I've spent so long agonising overthis and had pretty much decided on the Ribble 525 but I cant get excited about it.
    The obvious choice would be just get another Fratello but I like the idea of having something a bit different so I was sold on the Surly Pacer.

However at the weekend I was camping in Somerset and was pitched next to a lady on a Thorn who had cycled all way around the world and I thought - I need to get rack mounts.

http://cyclingfullcircle.com/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    One of my colleagues has a couple of Surlys and they just seem very heavy, although this is mainly due to the spec he builds them to. The Cotics just seem more desirable to me. I must confess to spending too much time in Neals Wheels new shop in Kingston eyeing up a Cotic Solaris MTB though.
    The escapade in the duck egg blue does look gorgeous. Have you seen the one in the My Road Bikes section?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    I've spent so long agonising overthis and had pretty much decided on the Ribble 525 but I cant get excited about it.
    The obvious choice would be just get another Fratello but I like the idea of having something a bit different so I was sold on the Surly Pacer.

However at the weekend I was camping in Somerset and was pitched next to a lady on a Thorn who had cycled all way around the world and I thought - I need to get rack mounts.

http://cyclingfullcircle.com/

MLC knocking at the door? ;)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    I'm a little way off that... I'm only 33.

Give it a couple of years.
  • asprilla

Good lord, I thought you were much older.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    pastryboy wrote:
    What's the situation with a headset with something like that (the planet-x frame/fork). I could happily build a bike up to the point it comes to cutting a steerer/fitting a headset I know nothing at all.

Headsets are pretty easy. You need to take care to get the bearings in straight, and the crown race fully down on the steerer tube. Cutting the steerer is a matter of taking a saw to it and, well, cutting the steerer. Make sure you cut it straight!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • clarkey cat
    Asprilla wrote:

Good lord, I thought you were much older.....

I get that alot. I've had a hard life.
  • I was camping in Somerset and was pitched next to a lady on a Thorn who had cycled all way around the world and I thought - I need to get rack mounts.
    /

Did she find her baby?

I've got a Thorn Sterling which is great but its a very different proposition to what you have suggested you want as a commuter. I'm all for versatility but sometimes those purposes are too far apart hence n+1 (or n+4 in my case)
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem