105 Chain Wear

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited July 2014 in Workshop
How long can you expect to get out of a 105 10-speed chain?

My current chain has about 2000 all-weather miles on it (put on end of January) with a cassette that is coming up for 4000 all-weather miles. And I'm starting to get a little bit of chain slip very occasionally, maybe once every 50 miles.

Also, has I set off and put down the first power stroke on my right the drivetrain makes a slight ping noise.
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    Put a chain wear indicator in it and check
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    or use a 12" ruler...
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • birdie23
    Thanks but I was really looking at an idea of how many miles I should expect.

I already know that is chain is shot. It's getting replaced before my sportive this weekend.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    birdie23 wrote:
    Thanks but I was really looking at an idea of how many miles I should expect.

I already know that is chain is shot. It's getting replaced before my sportive this weekend.

too many factors to say with any accuracy

how often you clean/lube the chain
    conditions
    muck on the road
    how your die and in which gears
    etc etc

havign said that, i usually get 3000 miles or so out of mine, no real science behind it though
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Agree, around 3,000 miles. YMMV
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I use a chain wear checker and probably tend to replace mine prematurely, and I get 1500 - 2000 miles out of a 105 chain. That is ridden all year round and occasionally not looked after particularly well. This conservative chain replacement has meant the rest of the drivetrain is still in good nick though.
  • birdie23
    I'm not a million miles away then.

It's not too important anyway 105 chains are amazingly cheap from Wiggle.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,098
    3,500km on my last one - but I either ride up hill or down with probably quite a lot of extreme chain angles so that doesn't help. I was laughed off another thread for that figure, with people getting 20,000 miles out of a chain!
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • birdie23
    davidof wrote:
    3,500km on my last one - but I either ride up hill or down with probably quite a lot of extreme chain angles so that doesn't help. I was laughed off another thread for that figure, with people getting 20,000 miles out of a chain!

I never cross chain but since I'm getting pretty low mileage out of it I might stop making the effort to avoid it.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC