Cake - when to eat it?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Now, this is a serious thread - when one talks of cake stops, are they in the middle of a ride or at the end? I've recently started doing a 44 mile route which passes Ashridge monument, where there is a lovely little cafe which sells very nice cake. But when I get back on the bike after said cake I'm useless.

So should I be cake-ing at the end???? :D

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Nope. Cake when you want it. Add a couple of double espressos for that manic, I can outsprint Sagan, feeling.

Hope that helps.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Is it the cake that is affecting your performance or the fact that your body has cooled down after the initial efforts? I find even if I stop to repair a puncture that it will take a few minutes for the body to re-warm-up.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    BrandonA wrote:
    Is it the cake that is affecting your performance or the fact that your body has cooled down after the initial efforts? I find even if I stop to repair a puncture that it will take a few minutes for the body to re-warm-up.

Might be a bit of both, but not helped by my favoured cake selection methodology of "biggest is best"! :oops: :oops:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Cake half way on a 44 mile ride is certainly acceptable. Its probably a case of your legs cooling down and it will take a while to get going again. Just take it easy after the break and let yourself loosen up.

Also, have a coffee with it, that may help too :-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Take every chance you get to have cake. There might be a time when they have run out...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    On Sunday I had cake AND a pastie!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    I guess everyone is different but on my first ever mid ride café stop I stupidly plumped for a huge flapjack and can of full fat coke.
    little did I realize the club run then proceeded up a bl@ody log hill at Cromford which I only managed to get half way up before I had to get off and push.
    I hate stopping mid ride and prefer to keep going if I can. I can always ask the Mrs to nip to the local bakery and get me something for when I get home :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    When to eat cake? When it gets close enough!
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    SecretSam wrote:
    BrandonA wrote:

Might be a bit of both, but not helped by my favoured cake selection methodology of "biggest is best"! :oops: :oops:

:lol: a man after my own heart
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Are you sure this is a serious question?? :wink: If there's ever a bad time to stop and eat cake then I've certainly never discovered it! And yes, the bigger the better too. I find that cycling after eating a full meal is never good, but never had a problem after a slice of cake, or even a sandwich and a slice of cake. MacLeod113 - not sure about fizzy drinks mid-ride - to use a local phrase - "you'll blow up like a dead Tup"!?!?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I like to cover all bases by eating cake before, during and after a ride.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    You are clearly undertrained in the art of eating cake and riding.
    Last ride to Cheddar, stopped at a cafe in the village and had focaccia with olives and houmous, fish chips and peas, steamed sponge pudding and custard washed down with a pot of tea. Then straight on the bike and up Cheddar no problem. Years of dedicated training at the tea shop.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Occassionaly we will opt for coffee and a bacon role or even a bacon/egg roll.

Apparently SIS and ZipVit are in competition to produce the first savoury gel - bacon and brown sauce is the most likely flavour.
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    Cake at the end of the ride in celebration of completing the ride non stop.
  • I've not eaten cake before, after or during a ride..... Is this an essential part of training I've missed??
  • roux_guy
    roux_guy Posts: 88
    It is mate, pay attention.