Chainring swap 10 to 11 spd

stevenb
stevenb Posts: 717
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Can I fit FSA 50/34 10 speed chainrings onto my existing FSA SL-K Light BB30 chainset (currently a 36/46 set up) and use with Ultegra 22g?
My new bike is coming with a cheaper FSA Energy 53/39 BB30 version.
I want to keep my carbon cranks.

Comments

• birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    You should be able to.

Wiggle staff keep telling people chainsets from 11-speed groups won't work with 10-speed but since there's still two chainrings I think they are talking cobblers.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I am running an SRAM Force 10 speed chain ring with and 11 speed chain and RD. The narrower 11sp chain works fine.

As to whether the the chainrings will swap on the crank, that will depend on them having compatible bolt PCDs.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • stevenb
    Cheers guys.
    I emailed CRC and Wiggle and CRC said that I should contact Windwave who are UK FSA distributors as they believed I would need 11 speed compatible rings.
    Wiggle actually advised 10/11 speed FSA rings would work fine on the 11 speed set up as long as the BCD was matching then it would be fine.
  • stevenb
    FSA have given me confirmation that the current FSA chainrings are N11/10 compatible.
    Result.
    It works out far cheaper than sticking with the 53/39 chainrings and buying new SLK Light 130BCD carbon crank arms.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I used the same "ten speed" SL-K compact with Tiagra 10 Speed and Ultegra 11 speed with no notable issues. Just this week I ordered a new set of chainrings, the N10/11 version, and I'm damned if I can see a pick of difference in width, spacing etc.