SLX Brake Question

theblarney
theblarney Posts: 102
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have just replaced the front and rear pads and obviously pushed the pistons in as part of the process. Now when I pull both leavers the brakes feel spongy.

Is that the likely cause is that the system will need bleeding and maybe require the fluid to be topped up?

I just would like someone in the know to confirm before I order a new bleed kit.

Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    No - if there was no problem before, then it's more likely the brakes just need to settle in, and the pads bed in to the rotors. Go for a quick ride and perform a series of good hard stops (without locking the wheels) - you should feel the brakes bite more each time until normal service is resumed.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Tie the levers back to the bars with a zip tie or strap or bungee cord. Leave overnight hopefully should return them back to firmness.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • theblarney
    jimothy78 wrote:
    No - if there was no problem before, then it's more likely the brakes just need to settle in, and the pads bed in to the rotors. Go for a quick ride and perform a series of good hard stops (without locking the wheels) - you should feel the brakes bite more each time until normal service is resumed.
    They were fine before, the lever was getting closer and closer to the grip as the pads wore down but they were much better than they are now.
  • theblarney
    stubs wrote:
    Tie the levers back to the bars with a zip tie or strap or bungee cord. Leave overnight hopefully should return them back to firmness.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I have cable tied them back before I went to work so will check them when I get back.
  • theblarney
    stubs wrote:
    Thanks Stubs your suggestion has worked a treat...