Stolen bike case, seeking advise.

zero4
zero4 Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in MTB general
Got my bike lifted in front of my work in Belfast, on the 15 July, its a cheap btwin bike rockrider worth 180quid. Lucky whole action was filmed by a cctv cameras around. Called police, filled up the statement papers, security guards passed over the tapes. Today i was called by one of the officers that had good and bad news. Good news was that they found and lifted the guy, they know who it was as he was arrested for stilling bikes before. They put him in jail for next 4 weeks as this is when the court case will happen. Now the bad news is that he refuses to say where the bike is. He is 17 y old unemployed typical scumbag. The officer told me that chances to find it or to court put a fine on him are below zero as he will never pay them. That means i have no bike and no chances to get compensation. Just wondered if any of people here had similar problem, and could get me some advise on how to deal with it. I just cannot stand the fact that he lifted it and i cant do anything about it, worse is that i need to pay taxes to feed this c*** while he is in jail.

Regards

Comments

• Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    You live in Belfast, you know the score.

For £500 he can get life changing injuries, for £700 you can watch....
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I assume the bike was not insured?

Little that can be done I would have guessed, I don't think the police are allowed to force confessions any more :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • zero4
    zero4 Posts: 3
    yes, no insurance on the bike. I have contacted the solicitor today, and fount out that nothing can be done realy. He is 17 so by law parents are no longer obligated to pay his fines, and becouse he is not 18 he will not be charged as adult. If i was to open civil case against him, and there was 10 ppl claiming compensation at the same time, court could give him 500 quid fine and split it between all of us. I guess i just go and pay some 17 y old scumbag to lift a bike for me.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    Buy it back off him. You know who he is, he knows where the bike is, do a deal.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    orraloon wrote:

I'd rather p1ss in my own mouth than do a deal with scum like that.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    zero4 wrote:
    yes, no insurance on the bike. I have contacted the solicitor today, and fount out that nothing can be done realy. He is 17 so by law parents are no longer obligated to pay his fines, and becouse he is not 18 he will not be charged as adult. If i was to open civil case against him, and there was 10 ppl claiming compensation at the same time, court could give him 500 quid fine and split it between all of us. I guess i just go and pay some 17 y old scumbag to lift a bike for me.

Except for that to work he'd have to pay the £500.

Do you really think he's going to do that?
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    chrisw333 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

I'd rather p1ss in my own mouth than do a deal with scum like that.

Who says you have to pay, arrange the meet and once you've kicked his teeth down his throat, cycle off on your own bike.

8)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The process is slightly different in NI, however the theory is the same. Plod will look at the criminal case and don't really bother themselves with getting you compensation for your losses. You have a clear civil claim for damages for the replacement cost of your bike. But will he pay a civil court judgement or give a stuff about a judgement against him.

You may find suing him a further waste of your money. but if you do info is here:
    http://www.courtsni.gov.uk/en-gb/aboutu ... laims.aspx

First step in any civil case is find out if they have assets or means to pay. If not forget it.
  • SlipSpace
    SlipSpace Posts: 46
    check your household insurance, that may cover bikes even if not at home address.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Who says you have to pay

You guys do :D