Push Tuned Shock - Bottoming Out

CitizenLee
CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Noticed on the last few rides that the travel indicator (rubber band thing) on my shock has come off the main shaft, obviously meaning I've been bottoming out the shock. I've never felt it happen, and it always rides really well, but it's a concern none the less.

I got it Pushed at TFTuned who set it up for my weight and bike (around 13 stone geared up) with 200psi, so I tried increasing it to 210psi but then it feels too stiff.

The shock is a 2013 Fox Float CTD Boost Valve Kashima and it seems to happen on both Trail and Descent mode.

Any ideas, other than "sell it and buy a CCDB" etc?

This is my 1st ever air shock after years of riding coils.

Current:
NukeProof Mega FR 2012
Cube NuRoad 2018
Previous:
2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Let the air out, unscrew the can and add a volume spacer (you can buy them for a few quid). This will add progression to the end of the stroke meaning you wont bottom out so easily.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you want the shock to bottom out so you are actually using all your travel. Obviously if this happens too easy then the volume reducers will help.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're bottoming but not feeling a harsh bottom out it's about right. If you never bottom that's a sign that it's set too firm.
    You should be using full travel.
    If you're worried about it then why not speak to TF Tuned? They can give better advice than internet experts.
  • CitizenLee
    Cheers guys... I have the reducer kit so will try them out before next ride, which should hopefully be tomorrow evening.

RC, a call to TF would have been next step but thought I'd ask here first :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Just looked and you have a HV air can on the shock? As a cheap test you can pack the HV sleeve with thick grease to reduce the air volume of the can.
  • CitizenLee
    I don't think so Rick, is that the piggy-back thing?

Anyway, I topped up the air as per Cyd's advice and it feels great. Probably around 206psi or there abouts. I did around 20 miles on it last night (around 1/2 off road) and the ring didn't fall off the shaft, nor did the shock feel too stiff. Feels bottomless now actually. I had the volume reducers with me just in case but didn't need them in the end.

Thanks again folks ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • rockmonkeysc
    The piggyback bit is nothing to do with the air can volume.
    My HV Monarch just looks like a normal xc air shock
  • CitizenLee
    Fook knows then...TF removed the original stickers and all I can remember is it had a red M on it :)

It's not the piggyback one though.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Fook knows then...TF removed the original stickers and all I can remember is it had a red M on it :)

It's not the piggyback one though.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... yelets.htm
  • CitizenLee
    Ah cheers Poah. I'm at work and this is the only close-up I have of the shock to hand (pre-Push) and it looks like I have the HV can then.

p4pb10323897.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Did you contact TF Tuned? Don't forget that if they have got the tune wrong they may be able to correct it. You could end up making it worse.
    It sounds to me like they got it right if it's using full travel but you're not feeling it bottom out.
  • CitizenLee
    Did you contact TF Tuned? Don't forget that if they have got the tune wrong they may be able to correct it. You could end up making it worse.
    It sounds to me like they got it right if it's using full travel but you're not feeling it bottom out.

No mate, I didn't get a chance. Happy with its performance last night though so I'll see how it goes next time I'm hitting the gnarlier stuff.

Gonna send my Lyriks to TF in the next week or so as the bushings are mince. Might get them to fit the X-firm spring too as they're a touch soft... need to find a cheap spring 1st though as I'm not paying 53 quid for one. Probably find one on Pinkbike :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous: