Removing lower headset ring

dan_casper
dan_casper Posts: 14
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
So i'm trying to install my new forks but i'm having trouble removing the lower ring of the headset from my old forks. It's stuck on there good. Any advice on how to remove it?

Thanks

DSC_0261_zpseb60c975.jpg

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    A small screwdriver in the little notch and a bit of wiggling normally does the job.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • dan_casper
    i tried using the screw driver on my multi tool but it just bent :/
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Quality.

Use a better screwdriver.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    njee20 wrote:
    Quality.

Use a better screwdriver.

^^ This ^^

Put the butter knife away and use a decent quality flat-head. Gently tap it into the slot with a hammer if need be, then work around it at 12 o'clock, 6, 3, 9 etc until it comes loose... or just mangle it off if you have new one.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Ask at a bike shop, it shouldn't be more than a few quid and they'll have the right tool
  • dan_casper
    Unfortunately i dont own a 'proper screwdriver', in the end i managed to get it off with the multi-tool screwdriver on one side and the butter knife on the other and a bit of patience. New fork fitted and ready to ride :)
    Thanks for the advice guys.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown