Mavic Aksium wheel questions

JACE100
JACE100 Posts: 47
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Just spotted this deal on Decathlon http://www.decathlon.co.uk/aksium-road-wheel-set-black-id_8164046.html?utm_campaign=roadcc_shopping&utm_source=roadcc and am tempted to by these as an upgrade from my stock wheels on my Defy 3. The questions I have are;

How is easy is it to transfer a 9 speed cassette to these wheels?
Does anyone have any experience of upgrading stock wheels to these?
Is this a good price for this wheel set?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    This offer is for an 8,9 & 10-speed hub wheelset so should be OK for you.

Looks like a pretty good deal to me compared to other retailers - some of whom are offering the new 11-speed hub but others only the 8,9 and 10 speed hub.

Your cassette will transfer with no problems - make sure you transfer any spacers fitted with your current wheels. It can be very easy to miss a spacer if it gets stuck to the old freehub body.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    edited July 2014
    Mavic hubs will take 11 speed and have done for many years so there is no difference.

If you look at page 6 of the manual http://www.mavic.co.uk/sites/default/fi ... _Guide.pdf

you will see that to "convert" from 9/10 spd to 11sp you take off the spacer.

A 9spd will fit no problem and to fit you will need a Shimano cassette tool and a spanner. To remove a cassette you will need a chain whip.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I think they usually go for around £200 online elsewhere, but that usually includes tyres and inners, but I think this is still a good price. I have them as stock on my Scott CR1 team, and I really like them - I have been looking at upgrading, but to be honest I don't really need to as the Aksiums have never let me down.

Seeing this, I'm tempted to get a pair to replace the wheels on my winter/commuter as the bearings on the Formula Hubs are on their way out and won't last much longer - so thanks for pointing me in this direction!
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    I've got a Defy 3 and bought a pair of almost new Aksiums from the classifieds on here to replace the Giant stock wheels and switched the cassette over myself without any fuss (and that's a complete novice /non mechanic talking).

They are a significant improvement in quality and roll much better but you'll also need to change tyres to get any noticeable improvement - assuming you're running on the original Giant ones. I went for Conti 4 seasons which I've been really pleased with.

Not sure it's the wheels or improving fitness that makes me faster but they look good and have been a worthwhile upgrade.