New Wheelset for 29er Full-Sus

Th3P
Th3P Posts: 91
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Good Afternoon All

I would greatly appreciated some advice in regards to a new wheelset for my Whyte 129 Works, Current setup is stock

Rims - WTB STi19 29" Rims with TCS System
Rear Hub - Hope EVO Disc, 10 Speed, 32 Hole, 12 X 142mm
Front Hub - Alloy, Double Sealed Cartridge Bearing Hub 15mm Through Axle, 32 Hole

I ride mainly trail centres and cross country but do ride hard in downhill section and push it as much as possible so need the strength and with the additional flex and loss in strength 29 brings against 26 I need a strong set needs to be a big factor. I weigh around 95kg depending on what ive had for dinner so not interested in the lightest set available would be easier for me to shift a few pound than drop a wheel weight size!

I currently have a set of Hope Hoops on my 26" Whyte 901 with Hope Pro 2 Evo and Mavic XC717 that have been bullet proof, What are my options and is it worth using the Hope 2 Pro on the stock wheels and build some?

Really appreciate responses :)

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    1) budget
    2) what's actually wrong with your current ones, if you don't want lighter?

I'd get some Light Bicycle carbon rims and build onto your Pro 2s.
  • Th3P
    njee20 wrote:
    1) budget
    2) what's actually wrong with your current ones, if you don't want lighter?

I'd get some Light Bicycle carbon rims and build onto your Pro 2s.

Sorry two very good questions!

1. Willing to go to around £500 ideally £350-£400
    2. Seem very prone to buckling, Have done around 200mile since last truing and already well overdue and alot of flex compared to some other 29er i test rode before buying the Whyte
  • njee20
    Then yes, sell them, buy LB rims, probably these are most appropriate. Build onto your Pro 2s. Or they can do a Pro2 build and you can sell what you have, may work out cheaper.
  • njee20
    They're the worst of the 29er rims they do. Either go for the hookless ones which are significantly lighter, virtually the same width, and stronger, or go for the wide ones I posted. As the OP is looking for strong over light I'd still got with the wide ones, which are still only a little heavier than the ones you posted.
  • Th3P
    Cheers to both for posting looking at the 35mm wide at the moment, Will likely sell or keep and stick some more road tyres on current setup for cardio training
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    njee20 wrote:
    They're the worst of the 29er rims they do. Either go for the hookless ones which are significantly lighter, virtually the same width, and stronger, or go for the wide ones I posted. As the OP is looking for strong over light I'd still got with the wide ones, which are still only a little heavier than the ones you posted.

you make it sound like they are a bad rim - what tyres is the OP using, thin tyres on wide rims won't offer much protection to the rim.
  • Th3P
    POAH wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

you make it sound like they are a bad rim - what tyres is the OP using, thin tyres on wide rims won't offer much protection to the rim.

Using Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin TrailStar 2.35 up front and Nobby Nic Evo PaceStar 2.25 rear
  • njee20

They're not bad, but they're the worst of the 3 rims, they're the oldest design and they've been superseded either by a lighter, stronger version, or a wider version which weighs a bit more. Why would you choose the one you posted?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    njee20 wrote:

They're not bad, but they're the worst of the 3 rims, they're the oldest design and they've been superseded either by a lighter, stronger version, or a wider version which weighs a bit more. Why would you choose the one you posted?

I wouldn't, I have 26 inch wheels lol
  • Th3P
    Still looking, Have been offered a new set of Mavic ST for a very nice price but struggling to good reviews/feedback
  • njee20
    Why not the Light Bicycle rims?

Mine have been utterly flawless. Lovely to build with, very stiff, very strong, decent weight.

Crossmax STs (like all Crossmax) are vastly overpriced, use an antiquated hub design and some incredibly expensive proprietary parts.
  • Th3P wrote:
    2. Seem very prone to buckling

I have the same bike and am finding the exact same problem with the wheels, a few rides and they need truing.
    Transition Trans AM 27.5
    Niner ROS9
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    53265493.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Th3P
    njee20 wrote:
    Why not the Light Bicycle rims?

Mine have been utterly flawless. Lovely to build with, very stiff, very strong, decent weight.

Crossmax STs (like all Crossmax) are vastly overpriced, use an antiquated hub design and some incredibly expensive proprietary parts.

Still considering them just had a good offer on the ST and wondered if they had any experience/opinions.
    Th3P wrote:
    2. Seem very prone to buckling

I have the same bike and am finding the exact same problem with the wheels, a few rides and they need truing.

Yeah the WTB rims seem to be very weak, Im around 15stone fully kitted and think these wheels arent designed for this weight. Truing wheels every other ride
  • Polf
    Polf Posts: 64
    I asked the same question recently. I am 17 stone and I wanted something stronger and with less flex and wasn't too bothered about the weight. I went for the American Classic AM29 wheel set.
    http://www.cyclomonster.com/cart/americ ... tAodn0wAsw

I was tempted by the LB carbons but my LBS had the wheels in store which is why I went for them. I can honestly say that it has made it feel like a completely new bike. No flex at all and they are a good weight for a non carbon rim. They have just survived a week on extremely rocky singletrack in the Alps and are as true as when new. They are still only a couple of months old but initial impressions and the reviews they get are promising. I ran a 2.5 minion front and 2.3 high roller rear in the Alps. At home, I run a 2.3 HR front and 2.2 Conti MK2 rear. All are run tubeless and seated perfectly with just a track pump, no fiddly tape etc and with very little effort.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • njee20
    No flex at all and they are a good weight for a non carbon rim.

FWIW the benefit of carbon rims isn't really weight, most carbon rims weigh more than an equivalent alu rim, unless you go crazy crazy light. They're far far stiffer for a given weight though.