Ambrosio Nemesis rims

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to build up some retro wheels with Ambrosio Nemesis rims on some old Campagnolo hubs. I've tried Google, but there seems to be a limited choice of shops selling them. Does anyone have a favourite supplier or know of a good source?

Thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Starbike used to have them cheap...
    left the forum March 2023
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    Planet x had them in stock very recently. Defintley worth checking.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of any reason this rim couldn't be used for cx dutys in the winter and all round use in the summer? I am not sure if tubulars have any rough guidelines for rim width and tyre size.
    Sorry for turning the thread off at a tangent.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • ugo.santalucia
    woolwich wrote:
    Planet x had them in stock very recently. Defintley worth checking.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of any reason this rim couldn't be used for cx dutys in the winter and all round use in the summer? I am not sure if tubulars have any rough guidelines for rim width and tyre size.
    Sorry for turning the thread off at a tangent.

It's a wide enough rim to accomodate various tyre sizes, so no issues.

As for Planet X... after three consecutive orders where regardless of what was ordered they always sent Ambrosio Excursion (guess which is the cheapest rim they sell?) and then more Ambrosio Excursion once the original were returned... and then more when the second were returned with a hand written note to be more careful... I don't think they know what they are doing and dealing with them is a huge waste of time
  • donboogie
    donboogie Posts: 75
    Looks like my post was deleted because of the link. Not sure what the issue is. La Bicicletta is a reputable shop in Toronto. In any case, their website shows Nemesis in stock for $105 CAD. Not sure how this would compare to euro pricing.
  • Try DCR wheels.
  • ugo.santalucia
  • term1te
    Thanks for the feedback. Looks like Starbike are the way to go, but not by much when you include their delivery charges. I'll post some pictures once their finished.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The build you are doing will be lovely also you will be surprised at how stiff the rims are for a shallow one. what tubs are you panning to use out of interest.

Have you actually tried phoning a few well know wheelbuilders, wheel smith strada, DCR, condor cycles and and others those that build with them tend to keep them. Hell I know a shop that has them.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Starbike are always good. I got my crono's directly from condor cycles.
  • term1te
    I haven't put too much thought to the tubs yet. They will be used on a late 80s Colnago, so something tan-walled should be the way to go, if I'm feeling flush Veloflex Criterium. I'm using Veloflex masters on the current wheels, which are great on the flint free roads around here. On the other hand, it is a brightly coloured bike, light blue and yellow, so I could be tempted by some tubs with a bit of colour in, maybe some Vittoria Corsa EVOs with yellow and black rubber? When I got the bike it had black and green tyres, which looked good, but which had suffered from too many years of storage.
  • term1te
    Last year you were good enough to give me some advice on a wheel build with some Nemesis rims. Well after nearly a year I've finally built them. Long story, I got the rims from Starbike, but there was a bit of a delay in the delivery, which meant I missed collecting them when I was back in the UK last summer, so it was Christmas before I got hold of them. They've built up into a really nice set of wheels. Late 80s Croce D'aune hubs DT Swiss Competition spokes and Abrosio Nemasis rims. The observant among you will spot the unconventional 36 2 cross spoke pattern. (3 cross drive side rear). I calculated the spoke length on the DT Swiss online calculator, but must have inadvertently put in 2X rather than 3X, as when I came to build them up the expected 3X just didn't work, but 2X did.

I built them to improve the braking over the original Nisi rims, which felt like they were permanently covered in butter. Tried the new wheels out for the first time today, and the braking performance is unbelievably better. The Master is likely to become my favourite bike again.

Here they are before the freewheel was fitted:
    DSC_0129_zpsskox5k2g.jpg

Vittoria Corsa SC tubs

Here they are on the Master:

DSC_0192_zpsx0it9t9m.jpg

One very happy cyclist.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Nice!!!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Very nice. I built a set of Nemesis on Campag Record hubs for my Zullo, paired with Challenge Strada gumwall tubs; not light, but lovely to ride. The only issue is that if you ride in the wet, the anodising on the brake surface is quickly destroyed.