Chain lube for silver chains

acf8181
acf8181 Posts: 14
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Whats a good, not too pricey lube to use that doesn't turn the chain and cassette black?

Comments

• chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Squirt.

It's a wax lube so you never have to degrease. But you need to get it right when you first use it - thorough de-grease of your drive train first.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    The reason the chain and cassette are going black is probably because you haven't cleaned/degreased them properly

I use finish line, does the job for me and pretty much everywhere stocks it
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Squirt is useless when it's pissing wet and you're out for more than a few hours. I've had the chain get surface rust before I was finished riding. Pretty good in the dry though. I find Finishline Wet Lube to be decent, it's cheap, isn't too sticky but stays on the chain when it needs too. I swap between the Finishline and Squirt depending on the weather. Never degrease or clean the chain between swapping lubes, just look outside and if it's dry I grab the Squirt and if it's wet I grab the Finishline.

No need to degrease your chain and cassette if you apply the lube properly. I always apply it liberally, wait a while and then thoroughly run the chain through a rag or I skip the rag if I'm using the Squirt. After every hose down the chain gets a re-lube. I don't know how people go for weeks without having to re-lube their chain in the wet but that's when you always see the huge build up of black cack.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    finish Line XC not too sticky?! Hahahaha, good one! It's like crude oil!

Squirt for dry weather. White Lightning Wet Ride in the wet and clean your chain.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I'm trying Finish Line Dry Teflon lubricant which seems to be working quite well in most conditions.
    That Finish Line XC is total crap might as well use engine oil.
    +1 for squirt but dry only and only on a well degreased chain.
  • chrisw333
    peter413 wrote:
    Squirt is useless when it's pissing wet and you're out for more than a few hours

Hmm, I wonder why?
    peter413 wrote:
    . Never degrease or clean the chain between swapping lubes, just look outside and if it's dry I grab the Squirt and if it's wet I grab the Finishline. No need to degrease your chain and cassette if you apply the lube properly. I always apply it liberally, wait a while and then thoroughly run the chain through a rag or I skip the rag if I'm using the Squirt

oh.

Squirt needs to be applied on a bone dry totally clean (degreased) chain. It needs to be left to dry off ideally overnight and maybe even a second layer applied.

It's not as hard wearing as motor oil, but I've used it in very wet rides (including 6 hours Peaks epics in torrential rain and with axle deep puddles) with no major issues. It will wear off in the we though and you do need to reapply after a wet ride. Once you have the routine sorted, squirt is an outstanding product.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    . Never degrease or clean the chain between swapping lubes, just look outside and if it's dry I grab the Squirt and if it's wet I grab the Finishline. No need to degrease your chain and cassette if you apply the lube properly. I always apply it liberally, wait a while and then thoroughly run the chain through a rag or I skip the rag if I'm using the Squirt

So you're not using the product as it needs to be, and it's the product that's crap? Oooook.
  • peter413
    I've followed all the nonsense degreasing etc when I first started using it and it didn't make the slightest difference. The Finishline is a good compromise, there's some far stickier lubes out there that no matter what you do always pick up every little bit of dirt possible. I know a few people have had the same issue with Squirt as well but good for you if it works ok for you, just telling my experience.
  • chrisw333
    If you're just adding liberally and then going out to ride then you are not letting it dry. The whole point is it needs to dry to a hard protective finish.

It does wear off on a wet ride, but is far more durable than you are making out.
  • peter413
    chrisw333 wrote:
    If you're just adding liberally and then going out to ride then you are not letting it dry. The whole point is it needs to dry to a hard protective finish.

Where did I say I did that? It's always left overnight at a minimum.
  • chrisw333
    peter413 wrote:
    chrisw333 wrote:

Where did I say I did that? It's always left overnight at a minimum.
    peter413 wrote:
    I swap between the Finishline and Squirt depending on the weather...just look outside and if it's dry I grab the Squirt and if it's wet I grab the Finishline.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No lube is ever going to work properly unless it's applied to a clean chain running on clean cassette and chain rings.
    If you apply it on top of old or dirty lube then it's the old and dirty lube in contact with the metal parts and the new lube is doing nothing.
    Any dirt or dust on a chain will turn your clean lube in to a grinding paste.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I'm pretty impressed with Squirt.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think the problem a lot of people have with Squirt is they are used to seeing stuff on the chain, which is not where you want it, you want it inside the rollers.
    And assume if the chain is basically bare metal, they need to add more gunk.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools