Hope/Aerozone BB FSA compatible ?

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
edited July 2014 in Workshop
I dont post questions normally on workshop as generally get by being engineer lol so here goes.
Took Pinarelo to Thailand cycling and somehow I ended up with lateral slack in cranks.
The pino BB is branded but its FSA and is marked as FSA on bearing covers and is 24mm.
The left arm is self extracting so I tried to tighten the crank arm to get rid of the lateral play.
This did not work so took off, greased put back, still same.
Removed crank, but bolt in and it went all way in no issue, put crank on still loose "" Give it oomph to tighten and broke the extracting bolt so I need a new one, on order lol. Guess the crank was on as far as it could go on the splines.
Measured BB shell in frame and ots 70mm. I have no spacers either side but its like I need spacer left side to prevent slack? No idea why it changed.
Anyway so now I am looking to replace the FSA ceramic bearing with either hope or Aerozone ceramic, am I right in saying they are compatible as they state 68 to 73mm (guess spacers provided) and BB24 ?
Anyone tried the Aerozone?

Comments

• jonnym5
    jonnym5 Posts: 76
    If it's a Pinarello and measuring 70mm then you will have an Italian BB so the drive side will have a normal right hand thread the same as the none drive side.

A lot of external cup BBs are listed as 68/73mm as they come with spacers for use on mountain bikes. You need a road BB as the width of the axle is narrower on road vs mtb. Road bike with threads are either 68mm british or 70mm italian.

As per the other threads I would fit an Italian threaded shimano hollowtech BB for best bang for your buck.

^^ Unless this is a carbon FSA chainset then you can't use the shimano unit. :cry:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    jonnym5 wrote:
    If it's a Pinarello and measuring 70mm then you will have an Italian BB so the drive side will have a normal right hand thread the same as the none drive side.

A lot of external cup BBs are listed as 68/73mm as they come with spacers for use on mountain bikes. You need a road BB as the width of the axle is narrower on road vs mtb. Road bike with threads are either 68mm british or 70mm italian.

As per the other threads I would fit an Italian threaded shimano hollowtech BB for best bang for your buck.

^^ Unless this is a carbon FSA chainset then you can't use the shimano unit. :cry:
    This is getting to be interesting lol.
    My BB is fsa and 70mm, the frame is 70mm also.
    Last year, I bought FSA compact chainset with a BB for a different bike and it is Pinarello and the guy who sold it said it was Italian.
    Well It fits, and it turns out my Pinarello is English not Italian so that one I bought must be english aslo so for now have it working and i found a new replacement on ebay for £50 which I will fit later date.