tyre recommendations (700 x 28)

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited July 2014 in Commuting general
Running Conti Sport Contacts but tired out so want something that rolls well but prevents fairy interventions :D

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    SecretSam wrote:
    Running Conti Sport Contacts but tired out so want something that rolls well but prevents fairy interventions :D
    GP 4 Seasons.
  • Marathon Plus :)

*takes cover*
  • secretsam
    Marathon Plus :)

*takes cover*

Have had them before
    0 fairy visits :D:D:D:D:D
    but
    made it feel like I was riding a tractor :evil:

• had them in the 35's which was pretty tractor like! Actually find the 28s ok speed wise
  • secretsam
    had them in the 35's

I'm surprised that you could actually move...

• andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Big Conti fan. GP 4 seasons would work, but personally I think the GP4000s are better, wet and dry. I've used both and both are very good as regards punctures. Neither are especially cheap unless you can get some on offer.

I run 23s, though.

For touring I have the Top Contact II (rather the previous version) in 32s and my wife uses the Contact II in 28s. Also both excellent tyres.

I've put Marathons on kids bikes and they came with the tandem. They are no better and no worse than the various Contis as regards punctures, provided you keep a reasonable eye out for glass, etc (which kids tend not to do). But I find them heavy and sluggish, and I need tyre levers to get them on.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    edited July 2014
    Specialized Espoir Sport 28mm, one puncture each over 4000 miles (swap front tyre to the back after 3k and you'll get 6000 miles from them).

I'm on 23mms at the moment and I ain't switching back to 28mm until I can get vanity stripes.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    4 seasons.

I commute on them, I use them on the distance bike. So doing 10-15000km a year, with very, very few deflationary incidents

They sit at the right point of speed versus protection versus longevity.

I've used 4000s and Open Paves on the distance bike - wouldn't recommend commuting on either though.

Marathons on the tandem - would be fine to commute on, but as noted, they are slow and hefty, but very very strong.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Big Conti fan. GP 4 seasons would work, but personally I think the GP4000s are better, wet and dry. I've used both and both are very good as regards punctures. Neither are especially cheap unless you can get some on offer.

I run GP4000Ss on both my summer and winter bikes (23 on the front and 25 on the back) and they've been pretty good... except that I've written off a rear tyre on each bike this year! Both have had something that have gone right through the carcass (though only just punctured the tube - it wasn't cut) leaving a cut of 3-4mm on the inside of the tyre so that the tyre would deform locally when pumped up to pressure.

Now this might be bad luck but to have had two (and the total mileage for the two tyres wasn't much over 1500miles!) when I've never had this with any other type of tyre... I'm now out of spare GP4000S so, unless these keep going until they wear out, I'll be looking to switch to something else next time...

_
  • small_bloke
    small_bloke Posts: 222
    marcusjb wrote:
    4 seasons.

I commute on them, I use them on the distance bike. So doing 10-15000km a year, with very, very few deflationary incidents

They sit at the right point of speed versus protection versus longevity.

+1

GP4 Seasons are light weight for a 28mm tyre. I couldn't think of anything else when I bought them last year in terms of speed/weight/puncture protection. Used throughout winter commute and no problems