Garmin 810 vs 800

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Is there much difference/ upgrade with the 810 or is it worth hoovering up a bargain 800.

my cheapo garmin alternative now has a smashed screen :(
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Will you use the additional features of the 810? (Tracking, phone alerts, wireless uploading of rides (not to Strava though) etc). If not, I'd stick with the 800. Garmin have just about ironed out the worst bugs with that product. I think the 810 is still suffering. And the 1000 is a joke. I just sent my 1000 back because it was full of flaws. On Saturday I did a 165km ride using my old 800 around N Holland on a quite complicated route generated by Garmin Connect based on only about 4 points that I entered and, whilst navigation wasn't flawless, on the odd occasion it forgot to pre-warn of a turn, it was quick to let me know I'd gone wrong. I certainly won't be bothering to upgrade to the 810 though I might give the 1000 another try in a year or two.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    cheers MRS, no the additional feature haven't got me jumping around. with current broken GSS model I have to download file to PC and then upload to Strava so a one stop wired option will seem like luxary.

good point re bugs, i like being a late adopter to these type of things.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    As MRS I'd go for an 800 and avoid Garmin product development programme!!

If you don't need visible maps, you could be well served by the 500 model which will still generate data from rides to upload to Strava etc.

Peter
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    No problems with the 810 and it doesn't do phone alerts, that's the 1000 onwards. If you don't want the Livetrack function, there's really no reason not to just buy an 800. Currently Livetrack is having issues with Apple iPhones and the latest firmware update for iOS. Garmin and Apple don't seem to want to sort the problem between them guarding each other's firmware with suspicion although the 1000 is supposedly designed with the iOS operating system in mind.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I think companies take their lives in their own hands when they interface with Apple devices - especially in a continuous/continual mode. One of the products I look after fell over badly on the IOS7 update. The software guys are 99.9% certain that the fault lies with Apple but we discontinued the product because it just wasn't good enough for our customers.

Sorry - you're right about phone notifications. It's weather notification that the 810 gets from the phone.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mickcee
    mickcee Posts: 46
    Think I might get myself an 800 (Sat Navs were invented for people like me!) as they seem to be quite a decent buy at the moment.

Quick question when the map screen can you have it split to see the sort of data i can see on my 200?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    mickcee wrote:
    Quick question when the map screen can you have it split to see the sort of data i can see on my 200?

+1 on the 800. If by the above, you mean can you also show additional data when on the map screen...yes you can. Two fields (e.g speed and distance or speed and HR).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    If you can get a cheap deal on the 800 and you're on a budget I'd go for that, if not then I'd go with the 810. I installed the latest firmware update on my 810 and it seems to have solved the only issue I had which was that it occasionally lost my cadence device and wouldn't re-connect on the ride. Like any of them you really have to set them up properly, if you do a google search you'll find some good guides.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    LiveTracking on the 810/510 and the 1000 has been temperamental lately. Sometimes it doesn't send a connection and sometimes it drops out mid ride without you knowing. The fault has been in existence for several months now and is all to do with the Garmin firmware not talking to the updates for Android and IOS devices. It seems it may be finally sorted.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I upgraded my 800 to the 810, as I got it for free, and to be honest I prefer the 800.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I havent tried an 810 (no interest in the new features really) but when on tour there was someone else struggling with their Edge Touring and I tried to help. It is hard to believe, but the new menus make it even more unintuitive to use than the 800 that I have. It looks like they tried to make it simpler with fewer options but as a result it is more confusing what the options do and how to do things that were obvious before. If the Edge Touring menus are based on the 810 then I wouldnt want one even if they were the same price as the 800.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I have been using the 800 for 18 months and it does everything you could ever really need and other than one wet ride when it decided to not track elevation its been pretty much perfect

Im not sure an 810 or a 1000 would be worth the extra
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've got a 2+ year old edge 800 and its worked flawlessly. Having seen the issues people have with newer devices, I won't be changing for some while yet!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I find the Sat Nav on my 800 to be hopeless. If I put in say home to work (ok I know the way), it takes me on a route about 50% longer than most direct route As another example when I uploaded a long circular route home from the in-laws, it gave me a wrong turn then the recalculated route was the most direct one possible missing the cafe stop I'd arranged to meet the family at. Perhaps I've got the settings wrong, but I never use the Sat Nav option now.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    ChippyK wrote:
    I find the Sat Nav on my 800 to be hopeless. If I put in say home to work (ok I know the way), it takes me on a route about 50% longer than most direct route As another example when I uploaded a long circular route home from the in-laws, it gave me a wrong turn then the recalculated route was the most direct one possible missing the cafe stop I'd arranged to meet the family at. Perhaps I've got the settings wrong, but I never use the Sat Nav option now.

It is hopeless at calculating routes by itself.

When you take a wrong turn, dont ever let it recalculate...
  • 810 use for last 12 month. No problem so, or with the 500 before it or 410 watch.