leaving a bike at Marylebone

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
Hi gang
I may once again be about to join the lunatic throngs in London, at least occasionally, and was wondering how safe it would be to leave a (tatty) bike overnight in Marylebone. I don't have a season ticket so can't leave it at the station; anyone got any tips on where it might be ok? Other than that I may be forced to buy a foldie...

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What about a Boris bike?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    If the requirement to store a bike at Marylebone is that you have a season ticket, perhaps it's worth buddying up with a non cyclist who has a season ticket?

I think sooner or later any bike left outside in central london will get vandalised or nicked, so largely it's a question of being happily prepared for that eventuality, or buying yourself a folder.
  • secretsam
    TGOTB wrote:
    What about a Boris bike?
    It's a four mile ride. No thanks.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    SecretSam wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    What about a Boris bike?

ghey
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • secretsam
    itboffin wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    What about a Boris bike?

ghey

Pfft. I may be old and fat, but I've got some pride left, and what little I have isn't being dented by one of those excrescences.

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    If it's only four miles, the Boris bike will be completely adequate, and might mean you actually get some exercise out of it.

And the bonus points on any scalps collected will be enormous.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited July 2014
    TimothyW wrote:
    If it's only four miles, the Boris bike will be completely adequate.

My commute is only 6, but by the time I've gone there and back and waited at numerous red lights then it's still the best part of an hour of sitting on a bike a day. I'd prefer to enjoy that hour and would enjoy it far less on a Boris bike. It's a good excuse for a folder, and there are plenty of free scalps with those too.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Scalping on a brompton is excellent fun. As for leaving a bike locked up outside, don't do it. You'll get through quite a few beaters in a year.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    At least once a fortnight, generally if I have a client do in the evening, I take the tube from Wimbledon to East Putney, then take a Boris Bike from Putney down the Embankment to Blackfriars (yes, this is exactly as insane as it sounds, it's about 7.1 miles). Sometimes I do the reverse. One day I will manage to avoid paying the additional pound for keeping it longer than half an hour, but I haven't managed it yet. Overtaking is relatively easy, making it stick is the problem. :D
  • secretsam
    Hmmmm...am thinking that a Foldie might be the solution...so have posted another thread asking for recommendations...

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    SecretSam wrote:
    Hmmmm...am thinking that a Foldie might be the solution...so have posted another thread asking for recommendations...
    That'll end up being a Brompton then. I like the raw lacquer finish
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo