Brake pads

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm doing the Etape Pennines on Sunday and it's looking like rain could be on the cards.

I currently use standard Shimano pads in my 6800 brakes. Can anyone recommend anything that is better?

Particularly for descending (nervous descender) and in the rain.

Cheers!
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Kool Stop Salmons for in the wet on Alloy. There's a few threads and this and a few options.

Anything with a soft compound will do you fine.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    This thread always comes down to Swissstop Green and Kool Stop Salmons, with pretty much an equal split between the two.

Someone will pipe up that swisstop are really expensive, someone else will pipe up that they are priced for a pack of 4, rather than a pair. The world will continue to spin.

Occasionally someone will pipe up that one of the aforementioned brake pads lasted only 3 miles and destroyed their rims. Someone else will then pipe up and say "nonsense, I rode 3 times around the world on a pair and they are not even marked".

To me, I am sure they are both good pads. Choose one or the other and you can't go wrong.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    As above although I'd recommend the SwissStop blue BXP pads
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    Got some Swissstop Green's on the way, may as well have tossed a coin between those and the Kool Stop Salmon.

Hoping the reviews claiming they are so much better than the 7900 pads are right.

Thanks everyone.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC