Change Cycling Now

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Remember this mob?

Remember how Lemond was going to be parachuted in to the UCI?

Now, think about Lemond of Cycling.

*chuckle*

And I <heart> Greg. But really, what was more misguided, the Kimbo fund or CCN?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    I just find it remarkable that someone who relatively recently was at the very top of a massive sport, can come across so utterly clueless about it? It may just be his presentation skills or nervousness, but I would have expected those to have improved over a week in. He comes across like a total clown!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Surprises me you give it any thought Iain.

I barely knew about either ;).
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I just find it remarkable that someone who relatively recently was at the very top of a massive sport, can come across so utterly clueless about it? It may just be his presentation skills or nervousness, but I would have expected those to have improved over a week in. He comes across like a total clown!

It is quite amazing. I don't like to get into the debates on 'I could do a better job than the commentators' because I know I couldn't, although I'd do better now I've got some new spectacles. However I 'know' I could do a better job than Lemond on Tour. I spend much of my working life basically talking in front of small to very large groups of people about things I don't actually know very much about while trying to sound authoritative and vaguely entertaining. I know more than Lemond seems to about the current peloton, can pronounce their names better (if he calls Michał Kwiatkowski Mike one more time, grrrr) and it would appear I can read a race better than he can too, add in the chutzpah and previous training and I'd be fine.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey

It is quite amazing. I don't like to get into the debates on 'I could do a better job than the commentators' because I know I couldn't, although I'd do better now I've got some new spectacles. However I 'know' I could do a better job than Lemond on Tour. I spend much of my working life basically talking in front of small to very large groups of people about things I don't actually know very much about while trying to sound authoritative and vaguely entertaining. I know more than Lemond seems to about the current peloton, can pronounce their names better (if he calls Michał Kwiatkowski Mike one more time, grrrr) and it would appear I can read a race better than he can too, add in the chutzpah and previous training and I'd be fine.

I'd be a better commentator, even with a small stammer.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    iainf72 wrote:
    Remember this mob?

Remember how Lemond was going to be parachuted in to the UCI?

Now, think about Lemond of Cycling.

*chuckle*

And I <heart> Greg. But really, what was more misguided, the Kimbo fund or CCN?

The mob have started to turn on Lemond. Not rabid enough in his condemnation of dopers.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows

I'd be a better commentator, even with a small stammer.

But being a commentator no one would get to see your trouser collection. You'd have to come in front of the camera some times and give Stefano a run for his money.
  • rick_chasey
    Should come on the BR drinks then.
  • above_the_cows
    It's a bit far to cycle and there isn't a night bus.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I do like Greg LeMond, but I can't watch that LeMond on Tour, it's car-crash.

However, although we might laugh at him heading Change Cycling Now, I think that was an important part of the groundswell against Fat Pat, so for his willingness to stand up I applaud him.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I do like Greg LeMond, but I can't watch that LeMond on Tour, it's car-crash.

However, although we might laugh at him heading Change Cycling Now, I think that was an important part of the groundswell against Fat Pat, so for his willingness to stand up I applaud him.
    The groundswell had sod all to do with removing McQuaid - it was down to Igor Makarov using his influence in revenge for Katusha being denied a WT licence.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    It's gonna be called "Flecha on Tour" by the end of next week.

I feel bad for Greg; the end of his sentences might be filled with pure wisdom, but he never actually gets to the end of his sentences.
  • above_the_cows
    Turfle wrote:
    It's gonna be called "Flecha on Tour" by the end of next week.

I feel bad for Greg; the end of his sentences might be filled with pure wisdom, but he never actually gets to the end of his sentences.

If he rode the Tour like he forms his sentences he'd still be cycling around the trading estates of Orleans and the USA would have no Tour winners.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Am I the only one who quite likes Lemond on Tour then ? I like his enthusiasm, it's meant to be a lighthearted look at the race and delivers that, much prefer it to the ITV approach.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    I agree with DeVlaeminck, the Lemond show is not perfect but it is entertaining. Greg is no skilled TV show presenter but it is interesting to hear his assessment of each day's racing. What the Lemond show needs is someone other than Stefano unfortunately. His grasp of the English language is not good enough and he is not proficient enough at anchoring a show like that. It could be worse though, it could be the Virenque Show!

DD.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I must check it out to see what is so bad about him. So far I have avoided hearing his commentary.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    In fairness sport is littered with greats that can't discuss it in an interesting manner.
  • DeVlaeminck
    I agree with DeVlaeminck, the Lemond show is not perfect but it is entertaining. Greg is no skilled TV show presenter but it is interesting to hear his assessment of each day's racing. What the Lemond show needs is someone other than Stefano unfortunately. His grasp of the English language is not good enough and he is not proficient enough at anchoring a show like that. It could be worse though, it could be the Virenque Show!

DD.

Are you aware he is a friend of mine ?
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    RichN95 wrote:
    The groundswell had sod all to do with removing McQuaid - it was down to Igor Makarov using his influence in revenge for Katusha being denied a WT licence.

Had a lot to do with Pat's miscalculation of the support he had from African and Asian federations. The vote was close.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831

DD.

Are you aware he is a friend of mine ?

No, I wasn't and apologies if I have caused offence but that is just my opinion of how the Lemond show appears, for what it is worth. I would imagine that presenting a live segment immediately after each stage is very difficult, given that they are starting off with the same information as the viewer and are slowly receiving updates in their ear pieces as the show progresses. Still, it is an entertaining show and I'd listen to Greg and Stefano any day ahead of Phil and Paul!

DD.
  • DeVlaeminck
    It's OK he's not really a friend, I just met* him at the Tour stage in Sheffield.

*stood at the urinal next to him at some M1 services near Bolsover
  • DeVlaeminck
    That looks great at the top of the page doesn't it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's OK he's not really a friend, I just met* him at the Tour stage in Sheffield.

*stood at the urinal next to him at some M1 services near Bolsover
    By that standard I'm friends with Steven Gerrard (hotel at Bisham Abbey) and Simon Schama (Gatwick Airport)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    The Mum from Sugar Rush came in to the pub tonight and called me Babe...quite happy with that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069

So, you're a teacher, then?!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • above_the_cows
    pottssteve wrote:

Kind of.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    pottssteve wrote:

:lol: Almost post of the tour quality.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    pottssteve wrote:

Kind of.

This a contender for post of the tour. You can almost hear ATC sighing as she typed it :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    pottssteve wrote:

Kind of.

That's OK, so am I... :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • above_the_cows
    pottssteve wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

Kind of.

That's OK, so am I... :)

Sometimes I feel more like a baby sitter and bum wiper for children that really are too old for such things i.e. adults.
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    Still, it is an entertaining show and I'd listen to Greg and Stefano any day ahead of Phil and Paul!

DD.
    I'd rather listen to my Granny straining on her commode than listen to Phil and Paul these days.