Helmet Cam advice

smill45
smill45 Posts: 11
edited July 2014 in Commuting general
Sorry if this has been done to death but looking into aquiring a helmet cam for safety. Had another idiot driving too close for comfort today and acting like a d*** when I caught up and (politely) called him out. :evil:

Want something obvious enough to act as a deterent for scruttle knapers but light enough to not give me neck ache. Cheap, cheerful and easy to use. Appreciate the cam may not pick up how close they were driving but would give me some peace of mind that if I come a cropper from some twonk, my grieving relatives can sue his sorry behind.

Contour roam??? or has anyone got better suggestion? Thanks

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I think the best advice is to not go after drivers, a helmet cam is not likely to stop them passing you too close and if you just want to stop them being aggressive with you the best thing to do is shrug it off. No matter how politely you think you are doing it challenging some driver's ability to drive is like a red rag to a bull for some.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • smill45
    Yes, you are correct and I usually do, been commuting for 18 years so not inexperienced and have managed to survive that long. I seem to be getting increasing numbers of people driving too close on a road that is wide enough to give miles of room (2 in the past week) I'm starting to get a little paranoid that they are out to get me ;-) Didn't exacly go after him but when he's sat at the next junction with his window wide open it was a bit tempting. I thought he may not have realised how close he was and I was fairly polite ("excuse me but that was a little too close"). Will try and keep the red mist from rising in future but it had been a bad morning ;-)

Chap last week was tailgating car infront and (I assume) didn't see me but honked his horn because obs it was my fault???

Like I said, though, I was hoping the camera would act as a deterent and if someone did knock me off I would have evidence. Not looking to start a utube chanel or become famous or anything. Maybe I should go back to wearing skirts or pink stuff, although tend to get more people cutting me up then! Someone tried to egg me/ the cyclist in front of me the other week, that was a first...
  • TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12974418

Maybe that will suit you better?
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    I went for a gopro for the simple reason that's its multi purpose. Waterproof so can take it snorkelling, shock proof so I can take it skiing, hi def for good footage.

If it's just for cycling then something cheaper is probably the best bet, but if other uses are likely to present themselves I'd pay the extra
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    A camera will not stop bad/dangerous driving as drivers generally will not see a camera.
    It can stop things escalating in the event a "discussion" occurs.
  • BobMcbob
    BobMcbob Posts: 104
    I use a Contour roam, does the job though takes a while to get used to the extra weight on the helmet. I charge it every day and empty the sd card once a week. Works very well in all conditions.

Can't say it stops the moronic drivers though
  • smill45
    Yes, I'm coming to that conclusion. Or at least nothing short of a rocket launcher will stop them :-P

Think I'll try find something cheap on flea bay. Did notice that thread after I'd posted so sorry for the duplication.

Might invest in something like this: <http://thecyclingman.spreadshirt.co.uk/wide-load-A15457901&gt; and try a bit of humour???
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    BSRU wrote:
    A camera will not stop bad/dangerous driving as drivers generally will not see a camera.
    It can stop things escalating in the event a "discussion" occurs.

A camera may not but this might:

14570823930_8d67ab4d57_o.png

Whether you're recording or not.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.