Best bike computer / HRM?

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
So I've had a Sigma BC 2209 MHR for a couple of years, which I liked except for the fact that it didn't work very well!
http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/b ... ess/bc2209
The wireless connection between fork transmitter and top unit seems to have finally broken altogether, but to be honest there always seemed to be something wrong with it, and the HRM was unreliable. Good job it was only £78.

So I'm after something that works and am willing to sacrifice the HRM if necessary and settle for a really good bike comp.

Thanks.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunn ... B000FMQ296

Almost twice what you paid but has more functionality and should last longer than 2 years. You may find it cheaper elsewhere or even 2nd hand (it's an old model).
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Garmin 500 with the speed and cadence sensor.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • OK thanks all. Not sure I need or want GPS to pay for it - slightly put off Garmins by constant reports of malfunctions.
    I find too much technology a bit offputting to be honest.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I like the simplicity of the garmin. Turn it on, stick it on the bike, and start the timer. Apart from the HRM strap, there are no sensors to fall off / run out of battery / stop working. And when you get home you get to see where you've been, how fast, how high, how hot and how tachycardic. Lovely!
  • keef66 wrote:
    I like the simplicity of the garmin. Turn it on, stick it on the bike, and start the timer. Apart from the HRM strap, there are no sensors to fall off / run out of battery / stop working. And when you get home you get to see where you've been, how fast, how high, how hot and how tachycardic. Lovely!

Right OK, which one do you have Keef?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 Garmin 500 and (new style) premium HRM. Does everything I need.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    keef66 wrote:

The 305 I linked to is about the most basic available with HRM although it is an old model, possibly even discontinued.

It's reliable and reasonably robust. It can be attached to bars and wrist. If you fit a cadence monitor it will track and record cadence.

I think other models are more costly.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keef66 wrote:

I went for the Touring Plus for a variety of reasons. Bought the premium HR strap separately. Very happy with it; maps surprisingly detailed and the sat-nav type behaviour has been reliable so far.
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    The 305 I linked to is about the most basic available with HRM although it is an old model, possibly even discontinued.

It's reliable and reasonably robust. It can be attached to bars and wrist. If you fit a cadence monitor it will track and record cadence.

I think other models are more costly.

thanks - a lot of the fellrunners I used to know swore by that one - though more for running than cycling
  • TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Garmin 500 with the speed and cadence sensor.

From all not research I agree. This is the one to go for which is more than I ideally wanted to pay but if needs must
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    OK thanks all. Not sure I need or want GPS to pay for it - slightly put off Garmins by constant reports of malfunctions.
    I find too much technology a bit offputting to be honest.

Garmin sell multi million units each year. Just like Apple, Samsung, HTC etc etc. They all have a few moaning customers, but the vast majority are entirely satisfied with what they bought. In a lot of cases, the faults are operator created. Read the manual and there shouldn't be any problems. If you don't want mapping or the Livetrack function of newer Garmin devices, the 500 is the device to get.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    i've owned a 510, 810, 1000 and a 200.

if you want no frills recording the 200 is absolutely brilliant but you won't be able to get cadence readings or heart rate or power. its also the only unit i've been able to do more than 10 hours in the saddle on ( i did the Liege Bastogne Liege Sportive and completed it with the battery on 2%!).

the 81 was extremly buggy. the 510 wasn't bad. the 1000 is fantastic, fast and efficient with a screen thats far easier to read than the others in the range, but if you use navigation the battery drains very quickly. turn off everything including glonass and the wifi and bluetooth helps, but if you do over 100mile rides with mapping then you'll need external power!