Surgical Gloves.

Majestic 12
Majestic 12 Posts: 63
edited July 2014 in The cake stop
A weird thought came to me the other day (nothing new).

As we know and have seen on tv, when a surgeon scrubs up for an operation, after rinsing off the detergent from hands and full length of fore arms, they then turn to someone (nurse) already wearing surgical gloves who puts the surgical gloves on them. All to eliminate contamination.

Question. Who puts the surgical gloves on the nurse?

Are there any surgeons in the house that can answer this. I just have a vision of a continuous stream of disinfected personnel waiting in line with surgical gloves.

Going to lie down now, nose is bleeding.

Comments

• spekky
    spekky Posts: 16
    In real life, the surgeon holds the glove through the gown and does not touch the outside. If you contaminate a glove, then the nurse removes it and slides the sleeve down over your hand so you can put a clean one on again without touching. Never known a nurse hold the glove to put it on.

It's more fun but not necessarily recommended to ping the dirty glove across the OR to try and hit the bin without touching the sides.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Interesting....

If you have any more 'weird thoughts', make sure you post them up.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Interesting....

If you have any more 'weird thoughts', make sure you post them up.

After his 'thoughts' on Cheryl Tweedy yesterday I'm not sure he's allowed to post his thoughts any more :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    never good to see a Customs officer wearing surgical gloves :shock:
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    florerider wrote:
    Is that a flashback?
  • The surgical gloves come with the open end folded over so that the inside is outermost. The two gloves are provided in a sealed sterile pack. When each individual glove is picked up it's the inside of the glove that's handled so the outside is not contaminated.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    nathancom wrote:
    florerider wrote:
    Is that a flashback?

Spent some happy hours detained in cells at airports when out getting export orders to keep the folks back home employed. The muzzle of a gun and barking dog gives its own direction in any language. One reason I like Europe is because I didn't have to go through that sort of crap there to keep the orders coming in.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odp8DEGZZaE

this is the usual time-honoured technique. Often tweaked by keeping the hands in the sleeves .
    having a nurse put them on for you is a bit like expecting your wife to lace up your shoes and zip your fly before you run for the train. I think it would look rather silly if I ever saw it done.
    I just thought , if a glove is compromised in the middle of hands-on activity and needs swapping then it might be done without anyone feeling abused.
    I was trained by a gynaecologist who cleaned up the floor with a mop between ops, which I rather like to do . It sets a tone of respect for others and drastically reduces the amount of mess one makes.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    priory wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odp8DEGZZaE

this is the usual time-honoured technique. Often tweaked by keeping the hands in the sleeves .
    having a nurse put them on for you is a bit like expecting your wife to lace up your shoes and zip your fly before you run for the train. I think it would look rather silly if I ever saw it done.
    I just thought , if a glove is compromised in the middle of hands-on activity and needs swapping then it might be done without anyone feeling abused.
    I was trained by a gynaecologist who cleaned up the floor with a mop between ops, which I rather like to do . It sets a tone of respect for others and drastically reduces the amount of mess one makes.

I once knew a gynaecologist who could wallpaper his hall, stairs and landing through his letterbox.....oh, no sorry, that was just a joke.