£2500(ish) on Mega, Foxy, Rallon x30 or YT Capra or Wicked

2»

Comments

• Fudge69
    Fudge69 Posts: 1
    On the subject of the Nukeproof bikes, if you know anyone in France, on Chainreactioncycles they have the bikes discounted,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fr/e ... 4294967021

A good saving and allows you all the upgrade wonga you need.
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Having pre ordered the capra 1, been looking at other bikes (as u do) and the mega am seems very appealing . Just came across a thread on maintance costs for the capra and it's dam expensive for x1 11 . Going to have a test on a mega next time I'm over Keswick . Had a blast on me mates kona process 153 and it's very nice, just sold out . Pending cost canyon have an alloy strive in the pipeline and a carbon spectral . Be nice to see the new nukeproof tho.
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • Kev43
    Kev43 Posts: 18
    Fudge69 wrote:
    On the subject of the Nukeproof bikes, if you know anyone in France, on Chainreactioncycles they have the bikes discounted,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fr/e ... 4294967021

A good saving and allows you all the upgrade wonga you need.

The link you posted took me to the English site but I clicked on the Flag at the top of the screen and changed it to France and got these prices 2339 Euros for TR Pro which is £1865 and 2703 euro for the AM Pro which is £2155. Here's the link

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fr/f ... 4294967021

Can that be right? I've got a friend who lives in France so could take advantage
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    that's correct.. Felix.London on this forum noticed they're much cheaper in France, so if your friend is willing to help out and you want the mega its a good deal
  • kester
    kester Posts: 79
    Kev43 wrote:

I'm planning a trip up to Whinlatter next week to take out one of their Foxy R's so that will be a better comparison but it will have to be some bike to better the Mega TR.

I would give cyclewise at whinlatter a call to see if they have any demo bikes left. I was there last wednesday enquiring as I fancy a foxy r aswell. the guy said they had sold through all their stock of medium bikes inc the demo and only had the demo bike in large left which a fella was on and had gone out on it again as he liked it so much. the guy in the shop did say they are getting the limited edition foxy r in though (he wasn't too sure when a demo version was going to be available). the only thing different is the colour. they had one on display and it looks nicer than the silver frame imo.

p4pb11099695.jpg

they also had the carbon foxy entry level spec and the guy said he could sell me it for £3000 and I never even asked a question about it! he just offered it there and then, so you might be able to haggle them to a decent price if you do decide on a foxy r.

number for them if you want to call them is - 01768 778711 regarding a demo
  • Kev43
    kester wrote:
    Kev43 wrote:

I'm planning a trip up to Whinlatter next week to take out one of their Foxy R's so that will be a better comparison but it will have to be some bike to better the Mega TR.

I would give cyclewise at whinlatter a call to see if they have any demo bikes left. I was there last wednesday enquiring as I fancy a foxy r aswell. the guy said they had sold through all their stock of medium bikes inc the demo and only had the demo bike in large left which a fella was on and had gone out on it again as he liked it so much. the guy in the shop did say they are getting the limited edition foxy r in though (he wasn't too sure when a demo version was going to be available). the only thing different is the colour. they had one on display and it looks nicer than the silver frame imo.

p4pb11099695.jpg

they also had the carbon foxy entry level spec and the guy said he could sell me it for £3000 and I never even asked a question about it! he just offered it there and then, so you might be able to haggle them to a decent price if you do decide on a foxy r.

number for them if you want to call them is - 01768 778711 regarding a demo

Thanks for the warning and the info but for once in my life I' actually got my arse into gear have booked the large Foxy R for the whole day on Sunday, can't wait.

I think you're right about the special edition, it looks lovely but I could defo live with the silver as well.

Have you got to demo a Foxy yet R yet? The only concern I have is the Fox forks which a lot people don't rate, it will be interesting to see how they compare to the Revelations on the Nukproof TR I took out last week.

What are your thoughts on the forks?
  • kester
    no ive not had a chance yet as they didnt have any medium sizes in stock when i was last there. as for the forks the guy in the shop was a bit 50/50 about them but said you could easily stick some 160mm pikes on and make the bike better.

im pretty average as a rider and i ride a full suss thats 6 years old so the fox forks even though they're meant to be rubbish would probably seem good to me to begin with.
  • rgasuk
    How did the demo go ? :-)
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • Kev43
    rgasuk wrote:
    How did the demo go ? :-)
    I was really impressed with the Foxy R, it climbs really well and I was really impressed with the lack of pedal bob, even out of the saddle at the end of climbs when you're putting it in rather than changing down a few gears it was good, markedly less than the N/proof TR. Having said that the TR was also shit hot on the climbs it was just that you really noticed the pedal bob out of the saddle, that's easy fixed though by dropping a few gears and sitting down I suppose.

I took the Foxy round the North Loop & Blue section of Whinlatter (we got absolutely soaked & battered by horizontal hail stone so we decided to miss out the south loop) which is much slower and for me was less fun than Llandgela. I like lots of fast trails with jumps table tops etc so I couldn't really let rip on the Foxy. It's probably a bit of an unfair comparison as I had so much more fun on the TR but then is that comparing trails rather than bikes??

However on the sections where you could get up to speed the Foxy also felt really good, stable and easy to throw about. It's a shame I wasn't able to demo the Foxy round Llandegla to get a better comparison as the times when I could let rip I was impressed. I found it easier to do higher bunny hops on the TR as I found it really difficult to lift the front end on the Foxy without pedaling.

The forks were absolutely fine for me round Whinlatter, I'm no expert other to say they seemed to work fine.

All in all I thought it was a great bike just as I thought the TR was. I think taking the Foxy out has kind of reassured me that whether I pick the TR or Foxy I will have picked a good bike. I'm now sort of back at the beginning as I'm still thinking about the TR, AM & Foxy but I think they're all good bikes so I might just go with the best deal.

I'm also thinking about taking the Orbea Rallon out for a Demo as well as I'be heard good things about that bike.

How about you, have you got any further?
  • rgasuk
    Thanks for the feedback, I was planning on heading to winlatter soon to demo the foxy I know I guy there so hoping to take a mega am with me and do the north back to back, and see what I see, if my fitness keeps up with me lol .

I've still got the capra on order, having seen a mates bronson frame get a few chips in it so soon, I was wondering about going alloy instead, there's a new strive coming out soon, and the new nukeproof I like, but also good time to get a good deal.

I've read many mixed reviews and feedback of people who say the AM is actually better for all day riding and I'm sure with some weeks u could get the same weight .
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
  • Kev43
    The Capra looks like a lovely bike and it got a brilliant review in Mountain Biking UK, the only thing that out me off was not being able to demo it before I bought it.

I'm sure I read some where that the AM actually pedals better than the TR. My mate had a medium AM Comp and there was hardly anything noticeable in weight between the AM & the Foxy. It's hardly scientific but when I lifted the Foxy and the lifted the AM I couldn't really tell any difference in weight.

If I get the Nukeproof I'll defo be going for the 2014 model cos as you say you get amazing deals, especially if you can get one from Chainreaction.

Let me know your thoughts after you've demoed the AM & Foxy round Whinlatter
  • kester
    Im going to whinlatter on thurs myself to try the dune r. I fancy the foxy r more but they dont have a demo in medium until they get the 2015 bikes. Hopefully i can get a decent comparison on the dune and base that on how the foxy would feel to ride
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I would go for the YT nice bits of kit...the Lapierre Zesty gets rave reviews....especially the 514 carbon...great on the climbs and awesome on decents...just so happens I have a mint 2012 with low miles for sale and you will still have a grand left ! lol :-)
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • kester
    went to whinlatter today to demo the dune r. when i got there the bloke said that there had been a mix up and they had given another customer the dune r instead of the foxy r but he said i could have the foxy instead. even though i'm a medium the foxy frame was a large yet suprisingly it fitted me so well i thought it was a medium at first.

Had a good blast round whinlatter even in the wind and rain and set a couple of PR's on Strava! enjoyed the bike so much that when i got back to the shop i bought one of the foxy r's there and then!
  • Kev43
    kester wrote:
    went to whinlatter today to demo the dune r. when i got there the bloke said that there had been a mix up and they had given another customer the dune r instead of the foxy r but he said i could have the foxy instead. even though i'm a medium the foxy frame was a large yet suprisingly it fitted me so well i thought it was a medium at first.

Had a good blast round whinlatter even in the wind and rain and set a couple of PR's on Strava! enjoyed the bike so much that when i got back to the shop i bought one of the foxy r's there and then!

Nice one, it is great bike isn't it. Did you get the ex demo one bike?
  • rgasuk
    There's to much choice for us lol, bloody canyons new 150mm spectral is very nice and the new strive will be released soon ., had a spin on a norco and foxy yesterday , just round a car park so not a proper test, but didn't feel for the foxy if I'm honest . Norco was nice tho .
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
  • kester
    Kev43 wrote:

no they had one black one left in stock in medium so got that one.
    nice and shiny!
    10599197_689631184256_5756938339426378513_n.jpg?oh=a8f6682b1a019ec120dd8f45d7fbc3b1&oe=5473F3FC

gotta say tho that fox fork did feel a bit rubbish on the demo, even my 6 year old 140mm air fox float felt slightly better. maybe it just needs tuned in better though. looking at getting 160mm pikes on it as i nearly used all 140mm going round whinlatter today
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    looking at a massive change in A2C distance going from a 140 float 32 to a 160 pike. better off with the 150 pike TBH
  • Kev43
    kester wrote:
    Kev43 wrote:

no they had one black one left in stock in medium so got that one.
    nice and shiny!
    10599197_689631184256_5756938339426378513_n.jpg?oh=a8f6682b1a019ec120dd8f45d7fbc3b1&oe=5473F3FC

gotta say tho that fox fork did feel a bit rubbish on the demo, even my 6 year old 140mm air fox float felt slightly better. maybe it just needs tuned in better though. looking at getting 160mm pikes on it as i nearly used all 140mm going round whinlatter today

Nice bike that mate.

The fella at Whinlatter was selling the large Foxy (the one you took round) for £1800, for that price if he's still got it when I get my cash together I might buy it and get a new set of forks.

The fella is the shop reckoned 160 Pikes would be fine in terms of not affecting the geometry.

You'll have to let us know what you think of the forks on your new bike!