More computer probs

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited July 2014 in The hub
Any computer wizards out there? I can't seem to download anything from Google - Chrome or Earth. I just get a 'connecting to internet' box and nothing else happens. Using XP, SP2, latest firefox, ad block and virus software off.

Comments

• There was an outage a couple of weeks ago on several websites, and a couple of pages have refused for me tonight on I.E. If you want to search for something I'd suggest Copernic multi search engine and free - unless you want to pay for it.

http://www.copernic.com/en/products/agent/invite.html

Otherwise an early night seems to solve many of my computer's problems, it has forgotten about them in the morning.

So, q.e.d. I'm not a computer wizard.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    supersonic wrote:
    Using XP, SP2, latest firefox, ad block and virus software off.
    You what now? :shock:

SP2? Generally interested to know why. SP3 was released in 2008.

Anyway, to confirm - you browse the net but not download anything? What about stuff like youtube, email, netflix, facebook etc? Can you even say right click on an image and select "save image as" ?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Using XP, SP2, latest firefox, ad block and virus software off.
    You what now? :shock:

SP2? Generally interested to know why. SP3 was released in 2008.
    He lives in Yorkshire, it hasn't reached 2008 there yet!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I meant SP3 lol.

Everything else works, I just can't download anything from Google properly ie their programs on their site! Just doesn't happen. I get the installer ok, press run, then it stalls at 'connecting to internet' stage.

My old Google Earth just shows a blank page. I try to clear the cache, it says you must be disconnected. I have no option to disconnect - I have an option to connect to server, which does nothing!