Suitable wheels for winter

moyesie
moyesie Posts: 68
edited July 2014 in Workshop
I've currently got a set of Shimano R500s on my commuting/bad weather bike. I estimate they have approx 6k miles on them since putting them on last April.

I made the mistake of leaving it too long to service them over the winter and as such they are proving very hard to get to run smoothly.

I'll soon be looking to replace the wheel(s) and I've two option as I see it; I can either purchase a rear R500 for £60 or spend a bit more and get a nicer set.

Mavic on Hope?

H+ Sons on Hope?

Sealed bearings really do appeal and Hope have impressed ever since my MTB days.

All opinions welcome! Budget around £200 mark

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    R500s have done me for 4 winters before being retired; why spend more? (Can't remember being fastidious about keeping them serviced either).
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    My caveat: I have never used hand built sand have only read good things about a well built set - someone like auto is the man for this info.

I use Kyseriums Elites on the winter bike (or rather the same un serviced set that are now 7 years old and still going as strong as old boots.

Light, roll well, look good. Recommended, however I understand that they may have spoke replacement issues (or I may have dreamt that).
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    auto I think you mean ugo. yes he like the Archetype on Hope. Personally I would Ultegra or Miche hubs but that persoanl preference in reality they are all good hubs and last. If you do go for ultegra hubs and look after them then some get 50,000 miles from them. If you can't look after them then hope hubs or the cheaper Miche are a good choice.

Mavic for all there faults do make a resoanble wheel but as it low spoke count high miles more often then not come with lighter riders (but that is not always true). The main problem is mavic's, shimano et.al is the narrow rims. Once you have tried wide you will like it. Winter wheels should have wider tyres and this for me mean wider rims to get the best grip in the bend on slippery roads.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Sorry - yes, I meant Ugo - stupid, stupid iPad autocorrect.

Many apologies.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.