Upgrading once bike and using some of the bits on another.

lxtwin
lxtwin Posts: 12
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I have a Cannondale CAADX 105 Cross bike and am thinking of upgrading the 105 set that came with it with Ultegra 6700 10-speed front / rear dérailleurs and the Ultegra shifters.

The next thing I would like to do is to move the 105 shifters / dérailleurs to my daughters bike, she has a Halfords bike (Carrera TDF Limited Edition Womens 2014 Road Bike - 43cm) http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-tdf-limited-edition-womens-2014-road-bike-43cm . This fits her well and the frame is quite good, but 7 speed and the shifters (Tourney) are far too hard on her hands to use. (which is what you get for £210)

This is what I was thinking of doing and wondered if it would work and is worth while.
Replace the wheels with Shimano WH-R501 wheels + a 11-28 Ultegra 10 spd. cassette (that I already have) - I measured the frame gap and it 130mm so will fit.
Replace the Tourney shifters and dérailleurs with the 105s
Replace the chain with a 10 speed chain.

This is where I get stuck, the chainset is a Lasco FR650S 50/34T with a square taper BB. Do you think I can use this chainset with the 105s ? If not will I have to rethink her bike and go for a 8 speed set up ?

Thanks for any help. Cheers, paul

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Upgrading from 5700 to 6700 shifters and dérailleurs is a waste of money. If you want an upgrade, then move to 11 speed 680 (or 11 speed 5800).
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • lxtwin
    I did look at that, but the guy in Evans said I could not use the wheels and replace a 10 speed cassette with a 11 speed one. As I have two sets of wheels I did not want to not use them.

Do you think he was correct or do you think a 11 speed cassette would fit ?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    It is true that most older wheels aren't compatible with 11 speed shimano cassettes. That said, I don't think you mention which wheels you have?

You also mention buying some new wheels, so could just get 11 speed compatible ones.

Either way, upgrading the shifters from 5700 to 6700 is still a waste of money.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    shift the wheels and full groupset to the tdf.
    buy new wheels and full ultegra 6800 groupset.

job done!
  • lxtwin
    The CX frame is 135 the same as a MTB not a road bike, I have wheels I have are Shimano RX05 centre lock disc and Maddux CX 2.1 Disc. I thought about a complete set, but the BB is a BB30 and the brakes as disks. The reasion I went for a CX bike is because I found the frame size good as I an 6"1 but have short legs.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    lxtwin wrote:
    This is where I get stuck, the chainset is a Lasco FR650S 50/34T with a square taper BB. Do you think I can use this chainset with the 105s ? If not will I have to rethink her bike and go for a 8 speed set up ?

Thanks for any help. Cheers, paul

I'd be surprised if the existing crankset could not cope with a switch to a 10-speed 5700 set-up from the existing 7 speed.

Even if there was a problem you could source a new compact square taper crankset pretty cheaply

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/alloy-compac ... prod13441/
  • lxtwin
    Thanks arlowood, I just want to make sure that while my daughter is excited about cycling she does not get frustrated with the Tourney and wants to come out with me.